Chapter 30

"Shit. Wake up, wake up." I could hear a voice in the distance, it was muffled but I could slightly make it out. I felt my body regain consciousness, my body feeling less and less numb by the second. The heaviness of my eyelids seemed to lift slightly, as I peeled them open slowly, only to feel blinded by a bright light that was too blurry for me to make out.

"You awake?" I heard the voice again, and this time I felt my body shake slowly. I opened my eyes further, and the blur started to fade away, as the voice grew louder and louder, my body waking up with life that I hadn't felt a moment ago. As my blurred vision began to calm itself, I took in the figure in front of me, quickly recognising the blonde hair flopping on his forehead.

"Rafe?" I slowly breathed out in confusion. He sent me a small smile as I began to lean up slightly, but instantly groaning as I felt pain shoot through my stomach. I glance around; I am laying in the middle of the road and the memory comes flooding back of me getting hit by a car. I snap my head to the side to see the road empty in both directions, no car in sight - the only vehicle being a motorbike pulled up on the side of the road which I assumed belonged to Rafe.

"I didn't see who hit you." Rafe hesitantly said, "They drove straight off." he mumbled the latter part of his statement but I still heard it, despite the heaving ringing blasting through my ears. I lean up further again slightly so I was sat up, the pain still making its presence known through my body, as I rubbed my eyes with my hands.

"Surprised it wasn't you that hit me." I angrily mumbled back, not feeling in the mood for a Pogue vs Kook battle at the moment. And of all the Kooks for me to be battling with, it just happened to be Rafe Cameron himself - King of the Kooks. Sarah Cameron's older brother who was way worse than your average Kook. 

"You're fucking lucky I didn't leave you lying here." he spat back, shaking his head in disbelief, as his eyes pierced into my own. It wasn't until now that I could fully take in his appearance. He was wearing a blue polo shirt and white shorts, and his blonde hair was messily flopping on his forehead. A few beads of sweat sat on his forehead, making me think he had just been working out, and I couldn't help the way my eyes began to drift over his arm muscles that were bulging in his shirt. I saw him smirk slightly as he caught onto my gaze, making me snap my eyes away in realisation at what I was doing. 

"Well, thanks for not running me over as well then." I mumbled, which earnt a glare from him, to which I simply shrugged in response to.

"You Pogues. Always the same." he chuckled to himself as he glanced down at the empty road ahead of us.

"Yeah? Well, typical Kook behaviour as well. Asking me if I'm okay after I got hit by a car, and then suddenly you expect a pedestal for yourself? So fucking predictable." I spat back at the boy whose patience appeared to be wearing thin.

"You better watch your mouth, princess." he leant towards me almost in warning, as he spat the last word at me through gritted teeth.

"Really? Or what?" I held eye contact with the boy, squaring straight back up to him.

"Your boys did us dirty. We want revenge. Wouldn't it be a shame if we just so happened to stumble upon their precious girl?" he smirked back at me, his eyes darting between my own as if they were racing with ideas.

"What are you talking about they did you dirty?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Oh they didn't tell you?" Rafe smiles at my obvious lack of knowledge. "Silly boys."

"Just tell me." I warned, growing more and more irritated at the boy's antics by the second.

"Your boy Pope sunk Topper's boat." he tilted his head to the side.