42|Tragedy

Anastasia's POV:                               (Time Skip: Months)

Everything felt so surreal.

Alexei was trying to comfort me, but I was a mess. I couldn't stop the tears from falling. Life had been going as good as it could be. There were problems here and there but nothing we couldn't handle.

I guess it had been too calm. Let me tell you what led up to this.

FLASHBACK:

"Why won't you all tell me what's going on?" I asked my brothers. They had been secretive all this week, from stopping their conversation every time I walked into the room. However, he wasn't the only one who had been doing that, Nico too.

"Nothing is going on," Alek replied. The sternness of his voice said contrary. It was not fair that they were not keeping me in the loop, especially since it had everything to do with the Mafia.

"You're lying."

"We are not. Isn't Amaya coming over to hang out with you?" Adrik tried to steer my mind from my endless questions. I just nodded. This was not over, I was going to find out what they are hiding.

I groaned in frustration because something in me was telling me something was really wrong. I looked down at the diamond ring that adorned my finger. I smiled reminiscing on the day of the proposal. Although we were getting married regardless he wanted to make it special and intimate. Through these past months, we have grown even closer than we have ever been.

I waited for Amaya to come over, she was moving in pretty soon. Adrik had told me that he was planning on asking her. Adrian had moved out into an apartment out in the city, but he is always coming over to the house.

"Ana!" I heard Amaya's voice. She was coming into my room with some bags in her hands.

"Hey, Maya." I smiled, patting the spot next to me in my bed. My gut feeling did was not helping the uneasiness I was feeling today.

"What's wrong with you? You look really pale." She placed her hand on my forehead trying to feel if I had a temperature.

"Nothing. Is it just me or are my brothers acting weird?"

"I mean Adrik has been a bit on edge, but that just comes with the lifestyle that you all live in."

"I don't know Maya." I let out an exasperated sigh. Maya had spent about an hour trying to reassure me that everything was fine, and if it wasn't she was sure my brothers would tell me soon.

We spent the rest of the evening talking. The thoughts from before were long gone. Being alone with my thoughts at times consumed me and it was nice to have a distraction from them. She ended up leaving to spend time with Adrik. Once she left I decided to get ready for my date night with Nico.

~

Nico and I were at our favorite restaurant. He knew I enjoyed a good view and this restaurant gave me the perfect view from the rooftop.

"Why do you seem so on edge?" I noticed that he has been looking at his surroundings more often. Usually, we don't take guards but this time we did.

"I am not." He replied swiftly,  looking at the menu. I rolled my eyes because we have been to this restaurant multiple times and every time we came we get the same thing. I just shook my head getting irritated by all their secretive behavior. "Look, let us just enjoy our night alright." He said with a definitive tone.