23. Welcome home

LOCATION: SPACE

Ashley and Nebula are in the Guardian's ship. Ashley is teaching her a game, she flicks an item at her and she catches it out of the air "You don't have to do that. Because, uh, you're just holding the position." It's Nebula's turn to flick the item, she's not good at it, but Ashley encourages her anyway "That was close." The next one, she gets right "That's a goal. You are now one apiece." "I would like to try again." After a few more goes "We're tied up. Feel the tension? It's fun." Ashley doesn't do well "That was terrible. Now you have a chance to win." She does it "And you've won." Nebula looks shocked "Congratulations. Fair game." Ashley holds out her hand and Nebula shakes it "Good sport. You have fun?" Though her voice is very emotionless and she's not smiling or anything, she has an opinion "It was fun."

Ashley sits with her helmet in front of her, she turns it on to record "This thing on? Hey, everyone. If you find this recording…" She sighs "I don't know if you're ever going to see these. I don't even know if you're still… oh, God, I hope so. Today's day 21. No, uh, 22. You know if it wasn't for the existential terror of staring into the literal void of space, I'd say I'm feeling a little better today. Infection's run its course, thanks to the Blue Meanie back there. Oh, you'd love her. Very practical. Only a tiny bit sadistic. So, the fuel cells were cracked during battle and we figured out a way to reverse the ion charge and bought ourselves about 48 hours of flight time. Uh, but it's now dead in the water. Thousand light years from the nearest 7-Eleven. Oxygen will run out tomorrow morning and that'll be it. Don't feel bad about this. I should probably lay down for a minute. Go rest my eyes." She sighs deeply "Please know… when I drift off, I'll dream about all of you." She then turns the helmet off and gets some sleep. Later, Nebula lays a blanket over her.

There's suddenly a bright light outside of the ship and Ashley opens her eyes, on the other side of the glass, she sees a woman.

LOCATION: AVENGERS MANSION

Stacey is carrying baby Lucy to bed, when she hears rumbling and heads to a window to see what's going on. Outside, a ship is landing, a golden glow underneath it, everyone  hurries outside. The hatch opens and Nebula helps Ashley down the steps, Stacey is the first to run over and pull Ashley into a hug. The unknown woman stands off to the side and watches, as Rocket and Nebula silently comfort each other, and soulmates are reunited, Ashley says "Couldn't stop him." And Stacey replies "Neither could I." "I lost the kid." "Ashley, we lost." "Who? Who did we lose?" "Everyone you don't see right now." Ashley looks around to see only one child and most of her soulmates missing, she bursts into tears as everyone else comes over to form a small group hug.

They all head in and Regina takes a look at Ashley, she's not in a good state. Meanwhile, the others talk, Ashley doesn't ask about Coulson being alive, her mind is far too busy at the moment. Coulson shakes the mystery woman's hand "Welcome back to Earth, Carol." She gives a small smile "I wish it were under better circumstances. Nora?" Coulson hangs her head and Stacey asks "Thank you for bringing Ashley home to us, but who are you?" "My name is Carol Danvers. I worked with Nora when I came to Earth a few years back." Coulson helps her out "It's been 23 years." She raises an eyebrow "Has it really?" "Mmm hmm." "I didn't realise it had been so long." She then looks back to Stacey "I gave Nora a way to call me for help. I heard the signal and made my way here, I didn't happen to be very close by and it's not only on Earth that people have been disappearing. I was needed elsewhere. But I came as soon as I could, and on my way here I encountered a distress signal, found those two." "We really appreciate it." She nods. Tasia approaches "Would you be able to find some other people, too?" Carol crosses her arms over her chest "Go on." "My people, we were heading here from Asgard, when we were attacked. Half the ship floated away, half was destroyed. Could you find that which floated away?" "I'll take a look. I came from the opposite direction before. I'll go now, we can talk more when I return."

It takes a few days before she returns with half a ship, everyone waits in anticipation to see who survived. Tasia had told the team that her planet had been destroyed and they were on a refugee ship when attacked. The first to step out are Korg and Bruliel, wanting to go first to make sure where they are is safe. Bruliel gives Tasia a small smile "Something happened, some of your people started disappearing, your majesty." Tasia nods "The same happened here. Who do you have aboard?" "We'll let you see for yourself." He calls back into the ship "It's safe to come out!" It's mainly Asgardian civilians who exit, with just a few soldiers and a few who came from Sakaar. Tasia thinks that maybe that's it, maybe Prisha didn't survive, but when she sees who's descending the steps, she drops to her knees… Prisha and Lavina are both alive. The rest of the Avengers are shocked too, Tasia had told them Lavina had died. When the pair reach the bottom step, Tasia gets up and pulls both of them into a tight hug, she doesn't want to let go, but eventually does. The next to approach the pair, is Warren. He hugs his sister, then turns to Lavina "Did something happen? You're in your Frost Giant form." "Oh. This seems to be permanent now, since Odin died." Warren hugs her, when their skin makes contact, Lavina momentarily turns back into her Asgardian form, but as soon as Warren's touch is gone, she reverts back.

As everyone welcomes the pair home, Lavina notices the baby "Whose is that?" Ashley explains "Suzie and Warren's. Her name is Lucy." Lavina looks Ashley in the eye "And Maria?" Ashley shakes her head, barely managing to hold back tears "We lost the others with our soulmates you don't see." Lavina swallows, as she refuses to cry "Others?" "We'll show you photos later." They suddenly hear a neighing. Everyone looks to the top of the stairs to see a young grey horse looking nervously at the stairs and hovering a hoof above the first one, stomping his others, clearly unsure. Ashley whispers to Lucy, who's in her arms "Do you see a horse, too?" Tasia beams "Sleipnir! Come on, boy." Lavina hits her sister on the arm "Can't you see he's nervous?" Tasia heads up the stairs and picks the horse up, carrying him on his back like a baby, his legs splayed about "Eight legs? Has that thing got eight legs?" Lavina nods "Yes, Ashley. My son has eight legs." Nian's eyes widen "I'm sorry, did you say 'son'?" Lavina nods "Yes, he's a boy." Tasia gets to the bottom of the stairs and smiles down at the young horse "I'm glad you made it as well." Stacey shakes her head in confusion "How old is he?" "2 of your mortal years, I believe." She sets him down on his legs, which causes the Avengers' eyes to widen even more, since they can now take a proper look at him. The horse is a only few inches shorter than his mother, but his face looks very young. The Avengers wonder how big he'll grow to.