5. Mini Story 2

LOCATION: HOTEL MONTELEONE

Stacey, walking alongside hotel security Willie, uses the man's walkie talkie, to update the others "He gave Miles the access code to the security elevator. It goes all the way to the basement, I'll meet you there." "Hey, sorry if I did something wrong before. This guy, he had all the right papers. Said he was here to service the air conditioning." "It's okay. You didn't know." They arrive at the security elevator, which looks very run down "This thing still works?" "One of the oldest in the city." He presses a button and it whirs to life. When it reaches them, they push the wooden gate up and step inside "I led him this far. Said he'd go the rest of the way down on his own." Willie pulls the gate back down, once in place, Stacey sees something opposite them "Wait, those air conditioning ducts, they go straight to the top?" "Yeah. They vent out to the roof." "Take me there." Willie presses a button, which starts the elevator going up instead of down.

Two teams meet up in the basement; Agent Aiken leading Nian, some SWAT and a K-9 team; Agent Santiago leading Tasia, some SWAT and a K-9 team also. Santiago speaks to Aiken "Sir, we're clear. There's no sign of Miles." "So where's Rogers?" 

The motor pulling the cable holding the service elevator up, stops, jerking them. Willie presses the button again, but nothing happens. Stacey looks at him "Tell me that's normal." "Uh…" Stacey pulls out her phone and groans "No service." Willie opens up a hatch, to find something that shouldn't be inside "What's this for?" She hands it to Stacey "There's supposed to be a phone there, right?" "Yeah, but…" What's in Stacey's hand is a tablet, when she opens it, the screen turns on, revealing the three missing Avengers, sitting on the end of the hotel bed. Walking up beside them, is Miles "Told ya I'd show them to you." He holds a remote out in their direction, there are tears running down Warren's face and Lavina looks furious, while Prisha, who's shaking is reading from a piece of paper "Guys, if you're viewing this, round six has already started. I'm sure you've met your new friend, Willie." Stacey looks at him suspiciously, as Prisha continues reading the letter "Sorry, Willie. Nothing personal, just the wrong place at the wrong time. At the conclusion of this message.." She hesitates a moment "...you'll have 60 seconds before the elevator free-falls to the ground. With 60 seconds, limited resources and Willie's unfortunate girth, there's only time for one of you to survive. Who lives and who dies, that is your decision. For the lucky, the clue to round seven is framed in the lobby. For the other, at least you'll be a lot thinner." The video cuts out and a countdown appears on screen. 

Willie starts panicking "Is this for real? I can't die. I got a wife a kids." Stacey searches the small space "Where's the security hatch?" "I got a radio." "There's no time." She finds the hatch in the ceiling "How do I open this thing?" "You gonna leave me here?" "No. Watch the clock." "The latch! On top! Look for the latch up there!" "I got it." She hits the latch and it flies open. She then jumps up "Stay right there, I'll get you out." She pulls herself up and onto the top of the elevator "Shit, I can't fit through there." Stacey crouches down beside the hatch "Alright, big man, let's go." "I can't. It's too far." He puts the tablet down, displaying 47.614 seconds, and steps right under the hatch "You gotta pull. It's your only hope. Give me your hand, come on." They grab hands and Stacey pulls "Come on, let's go. Come on, up!" Using her super strength, she pulls him out, him barely fitting through. Stacey jumps up to a window in the wall, standing on the little ledge, the window is covered in a metal fence, it's sturdy. It's their only option. Stacey pokes her fingers through the holes and holds on tight with one hand, holding her other hand out to Willie "Willie, the elevator's going to fall. I need your hand. You gotta get on the ledge. I need you on the ledge." Willie reaches for Stacey's hand "Come on." Just as the cable snaps, Stacey manages to grab his wrist and hold on to him. The elevator falls, the cable whipping around behind it, almost hitting Stacey and Willie. Stacey manages to pull high enough that he can put his feet on the ledge. Aiken, Santiago, Tasia and Nian make their way to the security elevator where the pair had gotten on, just as the elevator reaches the bottom and explodes, tossing them across the room. A high pressure gas pipe bursts and the gas starts filling their room, along with the elevator shaft.