24. The garden

LOCATION: AVENGERS MANSION

Carol puts her helmet/mask on "I'll see you guys in a bit, I'm going to go kill Thanos." Before she can take off into the sky, Nian speaks up "Hey. You know, we usually work as a team here." Stacey continues "We realise up there is more your territory, but this is our fight, too." Tasia asks "You even know where he is?" "I know people who might." But Nebula walks over "Don't bother. I can tell you where Thanos is." They decide to move inside so they can discuss properly, those who discuss this together are Carol, Tasia, Lavina, Stacey, Regina, Nian, Coulson, Rocket and Nebula. While Korg, Bruliel and Warren make sure the new arrivals get something to eat, and Ashley continues to rest, baby Lucy staying in her company.

"Thanos spent a long time trying to perfect me. And when he worked, he talked about his great plan. Even disassembled, I wanted to please him. I'd ask, where would we go once his plan was complete. And his answer was always the same. To the garden." Regina comments "That's cute. Thanos has a retirement plan." Stacey asks "So, where is he?" Rocket pulls up a projection of Earth "When Thanos snapped his fingers, Earth became ground zero for a power surge of ridiculously Cosmic proportions. No one's ever seen anything like it. Until two days ago." He changes the projection to a different planet "On this planet." Nebula nods "Thanos is there." Nian takes a closer look "He used the stones again." Regina chuckles nervously "We'd be going in shorthanded, you know? He's still got the stones." Carol decides "So, let's get 'em. Use them to bring everyone back." Regina asks "Just like that?" Stacey nods "Yeah. Just like that." Nian agrees "Even if there's a small chance that we can undo this. I mean, we owe it to everyone who's not in this room to try." Regina asks "If we do this, how do we know it's gonna end any differently than it did before?" Carol puts her hands on her hips "Because before you didn't have me." Lavina stands up and approaches Carol, she doesn't flinch at her appearance, or even break Eye contact. Lavina smirks "I like this one." Stacey smiles "Let's go get this son of a bitch."

LOCATION: SPACE

There are eight seats in the Guardian's ship, before any can argue for the final seat, Lavina excuses herself, not wanting to be in his presence again. Coulson is so excited, that she can't stay still. Once they're strapped in, Rocket asks "Okay. Who here, other than the over-excited woman in the suit, hasn't been to space?" Coulson, Stacey and Nian raise their hands. Coulson asks "Why?" And Carol chuckles, then Rocket says "You better not throw up on my ship." Nebula updates them "Approaching jump in three... two... one." They zoom off, all being forced back into their seats, those who haven't seen space before, watch in wonder. All too quickly, they've arrived and Carol gets out "I'll head down for recon." She shots down onto the planet. In the ship, Stacey pulls out her compass she's kept from the war, there's still a photograph of Anna in it, Nian takes her hand in his a moment "This is gonna work, Stace." "I know it will. 'Cause I don't know what we're gonna do if it doesn't." Carol returns "No satellites. No ships. No armies. No ground defenses of any kind. It's just him." But Nebula knows better "And that's enough."

LOCATION: THE GARDEN

They fly down onto the beautiful cabin and land. They head towards the only building. Firstly Carol blasts him and flies in, knocking him onto his back. Then she jumps onto his back and holds him in place. Next, others enter, Stacey holds his free arm in place, while Regina, in the big suit, holds the gauntlet arm. Tasia chops off his arm and he screams out in pain. The others walk in through the front door. Rocket takes a look at the gauntlet, the stones aren't in it "Oh, no." Stacey and Nian look at each other in sadness. Stacey asks "Where are they?" Thanos just groans, so Carol squeezes his neck tighter a moment "Answer the question." "The universe required correction. After that, the stones served no purpose, beyond temptation." Regina shouts "You murdered trillions!" She shoves Thanos backwards, Carol jumping away just in time "You should be grateful." Regina punches him in the face. Coulson asks, with watery eyes "Where are the stones?" "Gone. Reduced to atoms." Regina shouts "You used them two days ago!" "I used the stones to destroy the stones. It nearly killed me. But the work is done. It always will be. I am inevitable."

Nian sighs "We have to tear this place apart. He has to be lying." Nebula comments "My father is many things. A liar is not one of them." She approaches Thanos "Ah. Thank you, daughter. Perhaps I treated you too harshly." Out of anger, Tasia swings her axe and decapitates him. Rocket looks up at her in shock "Wh-what did you do?" She mutters quietly to herself "I went for the head." She strides out of the house. Nebula gets down on her knees next to her father's head and gently closes his eyes.