Chapter 8: Older Sister

Myle's POV

On our way to the canteen, I froze as a voice ringed to my ear. When I looked back, too many people were wandering for me to recognize that person.

"What's wrong?" Lev asked.

"Someone just- never mind. Let's go."

I turned back and continued walking. That person's words got stuck in my mind. A voice that most likely a female grown-up owns made me felt like... something big was about to happen.

My neck nearly broke from turning it right almost every 5 minutes while holding my phone. The reason was the reply:

'I'll tell you later, Miss Arjera.'

Reading it multiple times, made me sigh. I thought, I waited for nothing. That 'later' means after class, on our way home. I assumed that he would send a time and location. How assuming...

"Kyou.., did you ran out of load again?" I asked, looking for a chance to make my assumptions right.

"I did not... I just wanted to say this in person," he said.

"I-I see..."

I wondered why that conversation made my hands tremble... Ever since that whisper from someone, I felt that my night would be different this time... A nightmare, perhaps?

"I apologize... The truth was I am not on good terms with my sister."

"But-"

"Looking from outside, you'll only see a cheerful doting sister. Still, we both have a scar deep inside... because of our family's circumstances." He interrupted.

"I finally have someone to trust.' That's what I thought, the first time I read your mind. I approached you and involved you in my problems..."

"I'll protect you.' I told myself, thinking that everything would be fine... when I couldn't even save her back then." He spoke like other than I was involved in a problem, there was also a danger.

He didn't give me a chance to talk. Or maybe I just didn't know what to say. I looked down, hiding my teary eyes from Kyou.

"I gave it a lot of thought..." He closed his eyes. "We shouldn't-"

"- shouldn't be close.., right?" I continued his statement and he nodded.

We went home separately. For no reason, my tears suddenly flowed. Our interactions for just a few weeks felt like a year, but it seems like I couldn't help him again.

"Well, I'll just hope that... you'll get along with your sister." I looked up and wiped my tears, as the sun faded from my sight.

You shouldn't have approached me in the first place, you idiot. That's what I thought but... I was still glad that I met him. He could tell if I was depressed even just in a week. Although, his mind-reading might be involved...

I couldn't believe that I cried. Being emotional in just a simple situation, I might become the 'Best in Overreacting'. But actually... I already knew why...

"Miss Arjera?" I looked back, expecting him... when I realized that it was a woman's voice.

"Kyou's... sister?"

"Oh my... Just call me Ayuri. Or Big Sis, if-you-want." She winked, but that tease had no impact.

My swollen eyes looked away. "Ms. Ayuri."