Chapter 41: Worst Combination

Kyou's POV

My reunion with my mother... became the day when Alguna turned into a fireplace.

The places where Kana Rinsel targeted have a perfect view from this mountain. No wonder Carl Rinsel chose this house. No matter where I turn my head, what I could see was only smoke...

Police would focus on those places while this house, far from the city, would be hidden by the smoke. To what extent will he do these things just to get what he wants..?

Carl Rinsel brought out his hand from his pocket and locked the door.

"You're not that shocked when I introduced myself. It seems like you and your girlfriend... already knew who I am."

"..."

"Well, you just need to agree to my condition." He glanced at my mom and walked near her. "If you refuse, I have no choice but to set fire and take your mother's life."

I bit my lower lip, realizing how powerless I was. Right before my eyes, my mother's hands were tied behind her chair as she stayed asleep... Still out of my reach...

When we talked with Aunt Janis, it was planned to hear out his condition first. More importantly, I need to calm down...

"Relax. I'll give you some time to think. I set a bomb around here and once it exploded, that would be 'times up', Li'l Kyou..."

"... You're so rotten."

"The clock is ticking."

"Tell me your conditions. I could agree to it as long as it won't harm anyone."

"... Like father, like son." He clicked his tongue. "Make sure that you'll do it."

I gulped, waiting for more of his words.

"I just need you to erase someone's memories."

"Memories..?"

"Yeah... My wife's memories... Zack Zeyern had that kind of ability, removing someone from a person's memories. That's why I did my best to help him research how to prevent his blindness and how to control his ability. Despite all that.., he didn't fulfill my request."

My dad refused to help..? No way... There must be a proper reason..! That's right, the request!

"What specific thing did you request my father?"

"It is . . . to remove our son from my wife's memories. When he died years ago, my wife has begun to be silent. Even now, I couldn't hold a proper conversation with her... Not even a psychiatrist could fix her until now."

They had... a deceased son..?

"What she needs is to forget our son so we could go back to normal again..! So please help us, Li'l Kyou!"

All these years, they had done their crimes, involving innocent people, just for his wife...

His loyalty makes him a great husband. However, just because he's doing it for good, it doesn't mean that he's right.

He can't just ruin another family because of a grudge that he didn't even try to understand! I finally knew why my father refused.

I wanted to help but...

"It's impossible," I replied.

It made him take a step backward. "... What?"

"I can't help you after all... since it's impossible."

"... What do you mean, 'impossible'?! Your ability is a gift from God! You and your dad could help people... but why don't you want to help us?!"

"It's not like I don't want to... It's more like I can't."

"Excuses!"

I glanced at my mom.
"My father and I can erase memories... but we can't erase a dead person from someone's memories."

"But I studied the eyes of your father! You definitely can control someone's mind and memories! There are no exceptions!"

"There's more to our abilities that even I couldn't see nor explain."

Honestly, when he explained my ability scientifically, I was shocked. I and my dad always had a feeling that it's just a supernatural power given to us that can't be explained.

Supernaturally thinking... the one who gave us powers bound us by rules. Just because a person is dead, it doesn't mean that forgetting him would be fine. That must be the reason for this limitation...

"... You're just like your dad after all."

He brought out a remote from his pocket. When he pressed the red button, the ground started to shake, and a loud 'boom' made us cover our ears.

My mother's eyebrow twitched... The explosion outside woke her up. I wanted to rush over there but we don't know the danger that awaits us if we move an inch.

I glanced at Carl Rinsel. He was shaking as he shed tears. Kindness still lies inside him but it can't change how he committed unforgivable crimes. He's the combination of his daughters after all. Carsel 'The Bomber' and Kana 'The Arsonist'.

Carl Rinsel should reflect on prison and turn into a new leaf...

"To understand how I feel, I'll do the same by taking down another someone precious to you!"

My eyes widened, glancing at my side. He's talking about Miss Arjera. I expected him to do that but to see his decision upfront...

I wanted to beat him up in some ways. Still, I have to leave it to the person beside me. She's more expert than I... We glanced and nodded at each other.

Finally, the Miss Arjera beside me removed her make-up mask and tied her hair up. She removed her heels, throwing them to Carl Rinsel. Headshot.

It's a 'disguise plan'. The one that tagged along with me was not Miss Arjera... but Aunt Janis.

He hasn't met Miss Arjera in person so he won't notice the fake from the original one.

As Carl Rinsel wiped his forehead, he looked at the remote, ready to press it again. My aunt, however, pulled out a gun, firing at the remote's antenna.

"Woo. Sniper."

"Shh. Stand back, Kyou."

"Okay..."

She ran at an insane speed towards Carl Rinsel. His arms were now locked so the remote control was taken away from him.

Aunt Janis wanted to confirm if he did have a timebomb or remote-controlled bomb. When he brought out the remote, she glanced at its model, and it was not a timebomb. He was just bluffing before.

"You just lose your chance to control your ability, Li'l Kyou! You won't find any other doctors like me!"

"Thanks to you, the bleeding of my eyes can be prevented now. However, because of the things that you have done, I don't think I can still forgive you..."

Suddenly, the door was knocked down. We glanced, hoping that it was the policemen...

But it was Kana Rinsel.