Chapter 12

"Look, he's not a bad person," I said through the phone.

"Yeah but he could be with you for da booty." I laughed as I heard Kristen talking. "I'm serious. If the boys say he's a player then he probably is. They probably know."

"They didn't say he was a player," I said in Jared's defense.

Kristen laughed. "They basically did though." They did, didn't they? "I just want you to be careful. You've already had your fair share of players."

"You're right. I'll just be careful with him." He didn't seem like a bad person. "He's super sweet though."

Kristen sighed. "Yeah and Jason was sweet at first too."

She had a good point. He could turn out to be a total douche bag. "Okay, I'll be careful. We'll just be friends for now," I caved. "So how are things in Oregon?"

"As good as they can be without you here. Bella and I went to the mall to do the usual," Kirsten said.

"Stalk guys?" I said while laughing.

"It's not stalking guys. It's just looking for hot guys," she laughed. "Anyway you used to do it with us and you loved it."

"Yeah, you're right," I said. "I miss you guys so much. There isn't a single girl here for me to be friends with yet." I was stuck in a house with eight boys. Three of which hate my only friend outside of the house. "School starts in two days."

Kristen took a deep breath on the other end. "So there's only two more days until you have a new best friend?"

"Don't even say that. You'll always be my best friend. I could never find someone else." I can't believe she would even think that. I'd probably think the same if our positions were reversed. "Besides, you already know too much about me," I said jokingly, trying to lighten the mood.

"Yeah, true."

We talked on the phone for another hour, talking about the gossip in Oregon and the boys here. I told her about Chase's incident with the soccer ball. She laughed so hard. She said she wished that she could come and meet them. She said they seemed really cool. She was right though. They are a lot of fun.

Even if they didn't like Jared. I know they mean well in the things they say and that they're just trying to protect me.

Speaking of Jared, I got a text from him asking if I wanted to hang out. I replied saying yes and he told me to meet him at the coffee shop in ten minutes. This would be a perfect time to ask him to come over for dinner.

I ran downstairs in my short shorts and a blue tank top. I put on my sneakers and ran out the door.

When I got to the coffee shop I found Jared sitting at the same table as last time. I sat down across from him. "Hey," I said as he looked up from his phone.

He had a big smile on his face when he saw me. "Hey." He put his phone down. "How's your day been?"

"It's been pretty good. There's actually something I wanted to ask you," I said hinting to the dinner.

"Oh really," he said. "Well I have something I wanted to ask you too."

"Okay you go first," I said.

Jared took a sip of his coffee and tried to play it cool. "Well we've gotten coffee and we've hung out at the skate park." Was he trying to ask what I think he's trying to ask. "And I like you, a lot, so I was just maybe thinking you'd want to be my," he paused, "girlfriend?"

He was asking what I thought he was asking. So much for being just friends. "Yes, I'll be your girlfriend." I really like him too and I think it'll be good to be in a relationship to get over you know who. No matter what the boys say. I need someone to make me happy.

He smiled at me. "Good, I thought you were going to say no for a second. But I'm glad you didn't." He looked down at his hands shyly. "So what were you going to ask?"

"Oh uh," I thought about what I was about to say. Maybe this was a bit quick in this relationship. What do I even call Lydia's family? The people I'm staying with? Keaton's family? This was a lot harder than I thought.

"Is something wrong?" Jared asked. He looked concerned.

"Uh no. I was just thinking. Uh, well the family that I'm staying with, Keaton's family, they want to meet you." He looked shocked. Very very shocked.

"Oh," he said. "Uh you know they don't like me, right?"

"Yes I know, but their mom doesn't know that and she wants you to come over for dinner." He looked worried.

"This probably isn't a good idea, Ellie. They really don't like me. They won't want me there." He looked back down at his hands ashamed.

I wanted to know what he thought their hatred was about. "Why do they hate you?"

"I don't really know," he said ashamed. "They've just always hated me. They say that I'm a player and a cheater but I'm not I swear. I've never cheated before. It got worse when I started hanging out with Keaton. His brothers started telling everyone that I used girls for sex and then I just let them go." He got quiet and looked at me. "Obviously that's not true because I'm here with you. I think you are beautiful and amazing and just such a good person."

"I'm really sorry about the boys. I don't know why they would do that stuff. I trust you. I'll talk to them and make sure they are on their best behavior if you come over." I said trying to get him on board with the idea.

"You promise?" he asked.

"Yes of course. I'll talk to them right when I get home," I said. He was thinking about it. "So is it a yes? Will you come?"

He took a deep breath and sighed. "I guess so," he said with a smile.

"Thank you so much," I kissed him on the cheek. "This means a lot to me."

"I know," he smiled. "So when is this dinner?"

"Does Monday work?" I asked.

"Monday? As in two days? As in the first day of school?" He asked frantically.

I held his hand. "You'll be fine, I promise. I think their parents will like you."

"You sure?" I nodded. "Okay if you're positive. What's the worst that could happen anyway?" He said trying to lighten the mood.

That was a very good question.