Chapter 15

As it got later in the night I got more nervous. I helped Lydia in the kitchen with the cooking. We were making spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. It was almost done and I was shaking with nerves. Lydia noticed and looked over at me.

"Calm down, it'll be fine," she said taking my hands. I smiled at her but I couldn't help it. "What are you so worried about?"

I thought about it. It might sound harsh if I said I didn't really trust the boys at this dinner. "The boys don't really like Jared. At all. They hate him. I'm just worried it'll get out of hand and there will be arguments and fighting."

"I'm sure everything will be fine. I can talk to them about it if you'd like. Jeff and I won't let anything happen tonight," she reassured me. I smiled at her and took the bowl of pasta to the table.

Just as I set it down the doorbell rang. I jumped. I put the bowl down and ran to the door. I flatened down my blue dress that I had worn to school and opened the door. Jared stood in the doorway dressed up a little bit. He wore a nice shirt and nice pants.

I smiled at him. "Hi, come in." I opened the door enough for him to come in and closed it behind him.

"Hi, nice house," he said looking around.

"Uh, thanks," I said not sure if I should accept the compliment because it wasn't actually my house. We walked towards the dining room where we met Lydia and Jeff by the table. Lydia came forward and introduced herself and Jeff. They shook his hands and we sat down at the table as they called the boys down. I sat with Jared on one side and Jeff and Lydia took the ends of the table. The boys filled in. None of them wanted to sit next to Jared. He got glares from the older boys and William was the only brave soul that would sit next to him.

"Hi, I'm William," he said as he climbed into his chair.

Jared smiled down at him. "I'm Jared."

The older boys sat across from us and just glared at us the whole time. It seemed like they had this rehearsed or something because they never took their eyes away from us. They seemed truly disgusted by the fact that Jared was in their house. Keaton sat down at the end of the intimidating line and didn't really look up from the table.

Through this awkward silence I thought I'd start a covnersation. "So how was everybody's day?"

The guys just looked at us and kept their glares. "Great," Chase said sarcastically.

"Well that's good," I said trying to lighten the mood and repositioning myself in my chair awkwardly.

Just then Lydia and Jeff walked in and placed the food on the table. They passed out the plates. "Help yourself everyone." The boys dove in right away and Jared respectfully waited. "Boys, let our guest get food first."

The older boys all glared at him once again and dropped the pasta that they were about to put on their plates back in the bowl. Jared awkwardly put some pasta on his plate and Chase snickered and laughed a little bit.

"Chase," Lydia scolded.

"What?" he asked innocently.

She gave him a small glare and then went to her seat. "So Jared, what grade are you in?"

"I'm a senior," he said.

"Oh, so you're in Chase's grade?" she stated in a questioning tone.

"Uh, yeah," he said looking over a Chase who was still glaring at him. He smiled at Chase and then started to eat his food. I thought it was great that he was fighting back against Chase.

We ate our food and me and Jared talked a little bit with each other. Lydia and Jeff asked some questions. They asked what he liked to do, if he had started looking at colleges, and what he was thinking about majoring in. He answered all of the questions with things that they seemed to approve of.