Chapter 10

I stepped out of the shower and quickly got dressed. I didn't want to take any chances with the younger boys awake early this morning. I brushed my hair and pulled it into a loose bun on top of my head. I was wearing a black and white high low styled tank top and jean shorts. Jared had texted me last night telling me to meet him at the coffee shop down the street from the skate park. Since no one in this house wanted me to date Jared, I walked.

When I entered the parking lot to the coffee shop I saw his beat up black ford truck. I walked towards the small green building and opened the door. Jared was standing in line ordering his food.

I walked up next to him. "Hey."

He looked down at me. "Hey." He wrapped his arm around my waist. "What do you want to eat? My treat."

I stared at the menu and eventually Jared and I decided to split an everything bagel with plain cream cheese. I got a mocha coffee with cream and sugar and Jared got an iced coffee. We took a seat at a table that was in the corner of the cafe while we waited for our bagel.

"So where did you live before you moved here?" Jared asked.

"I lived in Oregon. It was always rainy and cold and really boring there. I lived in a really small town." I slowly sipped on my coffee.

"It's not much different here." Jared flashed his straight white teeth in my direction. Just the sight of him made me smile. He was very attractive, I would give him that. I thought it was weird that he asked me out so quickly at first, but he's actually really sweet. I originally thought it was just going to be fun and wouldn't last long, but he's different than I expected.

"Number 23." Jared got up from the table and walked towards the counter to get our food. Just as he got up my phone buzzed.

I looked down and saw that it was a text from Lydia.

Lydia: Hey Ellie. The boys want to know if you are doing anything later. They are all going to the track and they wanted to know if you wanted to go too.

I started typing my response when Jared came back to the table.

Me: What time did they have in mind? I'm a little busy right now, but I'll be free later.

"Everything alright?" Jared asked setting the food on the table.

I smiled and nodded. "Yeah, Lydia was just asking if I had plans for later today."

He nodded and started to take the food out of the bag. He took the top half and handed it to me. I took it from his hand, our fingers touching for a split second. When his hand was gone, mine felt cold. 

I shook it off. "So what does everyone around here do for fun?" I asked. I spread the cream cheese around on my bagel. I used a ton. It's a good thing the people gave us two things of it.

"Well, most of my friends just skateboard." I passed the cream cheese to him. "You see a lot of the people at my school are smart and play school sports. If your not smart or you don't play a sport then you don't really fit in. That's why I hang out with a lot of people from other schools."

"So is your school like the cliche high school where you have your jocks, your nerds, your loners, and your preps?" I asked sarcastically.

"Actually, yeah, kind of." My jaw dropped and I almost lost the food that was in my mouth. Jared laughed and took a sip of his coffee. I was going to die at this new school.

I wiped my mouth with my napkin and collected myself. "Great," I rolled my eyes and placed the napkin back on the table.

"It's not that bad. You just have to get used to the people there." I stared at him in disbeleif. Get used to the people? "You'll do fine. I've only known you for a day or two and I already like you."