Chapter 29

Chapter 29

The next day after school I was in the house with Keaton. No one else was home. Chase and Ethan had football practice so they hadn't been home since after school. Wesley hung out with a friend after school. Lydia took William, Logan, and Oliver to get ice cream after school. She had offered to bring Keaton and I as well, but we both turned it down. It wasn't usually like me to turn down ice cream, but I kind of just wanted to be alone.

I had been wearing long sleeve shirts all the time lately. This was the first time that I could wear a short sleeve shirt besides going to bed. When I got into my room, I closed the door and immediately changed into a short sleeve shirt.

I laid in bed and enjoyed this. It was actually kind of crazy how nice it felt. How free it felt. It was like my arms could finally breathe. I felt my head sink into my fluffy pillow and my whole body just completely relaxed.

After minutes of relaxing, I took out my books and started my homework. I had a lot to do. I got right to work, starting with trigonometry. It was pretty difficult, to be honest. Paige helped me a lot in class. I had a B right now, which I'm very proud of.

When I was almost done with the text book work, Keaton came to my doorway. He looked in. There was sorrow and concern on his face. "Keaton what's wrong?"

I closed my text book and set it on the floor. I say up and moved my bags and other books so there was room for him to sit down across from me on the bed. He sat and looked at his hands. His eyes moved up slowly and I could see his eyes land on my wrists.

He shook his head and mumbled, "I knew it."

I totally forgot, I was wearing a short sleeve shirt. I covered my arms. "Ellie, I'm not stupid," he said. "I've seen you come out of the bathroom crying. I saw your arm the other day." He looked up at me and gave me a confused look. "Why did you do it?"

I don't answer. I didn't know how to answer. There were so many reasons.

"Is it because of Jared, because he is not worth that kind of pain. He cheated on you so why did you hurt yourself like that? You were already hurting enough." Keaton understood a lot for his age. It was surprising. He seemed really young and immature, but he was really wise.

"It's not just because of Jared," I said slowly, not wanting him to go on another mini rant. He looked at me, begging me to continue with his eyes. "I've been thinking about my parents a lot. I've been thinking about the night it all happened. You probably don't know a lot about that night."

He shook his head. "What happened?" I choked on my breath a little bit. This was the first time I was asked about it. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. I understand."

"No it's fine." I brought it up anyway. I should tell him. He deserves to know. "I was watching movies in the living room with my mom and dad and there was a loud crash. My mom told me to go to my room so I did. I closed the door and sat in the corner. I could hear a lot of what was going on though. I couldn't really understand what the guy was saying, but I heard glass breaking and loud thuds like things were being thrown. Then all of a sudden there was a bang and a gun was fired. Then another shot. I stayed in my room crying, trying to be as quiet as I could. I heard the glass breaking underneath someone's shoes then there was a loud slam of the door." I stopped. It all came out without me even thinking. I could see it all happening over again. I was back in my room in the floor. I wished I could have another chance and go out of the room and try to save my parents.

Tears started to roll down my cheeks. Keaton looked overwhelmed. He seemed like he wasn't sure what to do. I gave him a small smile as if saying not to worry and that it was okay. "So now I keep thinking about that night and I just wish that I had left the room and tried to do something to save them. I just feel like part of their death is my fault because I didn't do anything."