Chapter 18

It was a Sunday. The guys were all shut in their rooms, besides William. He was sitting in the living room in the couch watching kids tv shows. He sat with a bowl of cereal in his lap. I walked up behind him and ruffled his hair. "Morning."

He turned around and looked up at me. He smiled and began to talk with a bunch of food in his mouth. "Good morning Ellie."

"Don't talk with your mouth full," Lydia said from the kitchen. I turned around to see her cleaning the kitchen counters with a dish rag.

I walked into the kitchen and sat on a stool across from her. "Do we have any plans for today?" I asked.

She looked up at me. "Well later on the boys have a football game. You could come if you wanted. Other than that, no."

"I was just going to hang out with Jared in a little bit, unless we were doing something." I walked to the fridge and took out the orange juice and poured myself a glass. "But I would love to go to the game. Jared also plays football so I'll be able to see all the guys in one game," I said with a smile.

"That sounds great. I'm sure the guys will appreciate you going." She smiled to me. "So this Jared guy. You spend a lot of time with him, huh? I don't think I ever got the chance to apologize for the boys at dinner the other night. I know they never would have wanted to ruin the dinner like that but Chase is different. You know about his condition now and that was a small part of it the other night."

"Yeah I understand now and I won't say anything to anyone at school or anything." Maybe that wasn't all the truth. I didn't really understand because no one would tell me anything. I wasn't going to say that to her though. Lydia has been nothing but nice to me. "I know what it's like to be embarrassed so I won't say anything." I was probably the laughing stock at my old school since Jason cheated on me. He probably told everyone about it and how clueless I was about it all. It was probably going on for a while and I hadn't even known.

"Thank you so much Ellie. You are so sweet. I wish I had a daughter like you," she said with a laugh.

"Well now you do. I think of you as a motherly figure," I said smiling. She was like a motherly figure, but no one could ever replace my mom.

Lydia walked around the kitchen counter and came to give me a hug. Once she hugged me she walked in the living room and started taking care of William.

I grabbed an apple off the counter and left to meet Jared at the coffee shop.

I walked down the street and as I got closer to the parking lot I could see Jared's car.

I walked a little faster to get inside and once I did I took a seat across from him. Jared was texting on his phone and he had a grin on his face. When he noticed I had sat down he looked up and the grin turned to a genuine smile. "Hey, how's your morning been?"

Stressful. "Good," I said. I probably shouldn't talk about the incident yesterday or the conversation about it this morning. "How's your been?"

"It's been pretty good. Even better now that you're here." He smiled at me again. I blushed. "I got you a coffee. It's the same kind you ordered last time."

"Awe, thanks but you didn't have to buy me one," I said.

He shook his head. "I wanted to."

We sat in silence for a little while, while I sipped on my coffee. He started texting again and he kept smiling at his phone. I put my coffee down. "What's so funny?" I asked curiously.

Jared looked up for a minute and then looked back down. "Uh nothing, it's just a friend from school," he paused. "One of the guys I was standing with before lunch," he added.

Something made me think it wasn't a friend. He seemed to be acting weird and distant. I brushed it off and continued to drink my coffee. He put his phone down on the table and drank his as well.

"So I have a game later today," he said casually.

"I heard. Would you mind if I came?" I asked politely even though I was going whether he wanted me there or not.

He paused. "I mean I want you there, but what if I don't do good or I mess up?"

I smiled at how cute he was. He was worried about impressing me. That was so sweet. "You have nothing to worry about. I've seen you at practice. I'm sure you'll do amazing."

Just as I said that his phone rang. He looked down at the name and so did I. It looked like it said Taylor. I took a deep breath. He looked back at me and quickly picked up his phone. "I have to take this." He stood up and kissed me on the cheek. "I have to go, but I'll see you at the game, right?" he asked, knowing that I would be there.

I nodded and he left the coffee shop. This was just great. My boyfriend was leaving and he was answering a call from someone named Taylor. It was probably a girl. Although Taylor could be a boys name. Just look at Taylor Lautner.

I sighed. Who was I kidding? It was probably another girl. I didn't stand a chance against any of the other people around here. It was clear that he would leave me in an instant. I mean look, he just did. I sat at the table quietly and alone sipping my coffee. My life was so depressing.