Chapter 2

I stepped off of the plane and looked around. It wasn't much colder here than it was in Oregon. I was inside too so there was that. I walked through the tunnel leading inside. It was dark so I lifted my arm to look at my watch. It was 5 o'clock. Why was it so dark already? I saw light forming at the end of the tunnel and walked a little bit faster.

Once I was in the light there were a bunch of people walking back and forth. People on their phones, totally oblivious of the things around them. I walked towards some chairs and sat down/ I took my backpack off of my back and placed it on the floor. I took out my phone and checked my email. There was a message that had the time Lydia would be here to pick me up. I opened my email and scrolled through my inbox. There was only one message in there from Lydia. I opened it and it said:

Hi Elizabeth. I'm very sorry for your loss. I have been told that you will be boarding a plane in the morning to come to New Hampshire. I am so happy that I will finally get to see you grown up. The last time I saw you, you were about four. Anyway, I will be at the airport to get you at around 5:30. I might be earlier, it just depends on how things work out with my husband and his work. I will meet you at baggage claim for your flight. I'm looking forward to seeing you. Have a safe flight. See you soon!

-Lydia

I exited out of my email and went to my music. I took my headphones out of my backpack and put them in my ears. I put my backpack on my back and walked to baggage claim. I stood there for probably about 10 minutes waiting for my two suit cases. I received one, the bigger one out of the two which was a grayish blue color and I waited for the second one. I watched as the bags went around and around and I listened to Bullet Train, on repeat. I was about to reach for my second bag when I heard someone calling my name. I turned around and saw a boy about my age looking at everyone who passed him, searching for me I assumed.

"Elizabeth?" He walked back and forth calling my name. No one answered him and everyone looked at him like he was crazy. I walked up to him, putting an end to his useless search. He was tall and had brown hair that was wavy. It was really messy and he was wearing dark blue jeans and a black T-shirt that had words on it that I couldn't read from here.

He came closer to me but I don't think he knew it was me yet. Why would he be looking for me. I my big headphones off of my head and tapped him on the shoulder. "Um excuse me." He turned around and faced me. He smiled, his teeth the perfect pearl white and completely straight. "I'm-"

He cut me off, "Elizabeth?" His bright blue eyes grew wider as he got happier.

I looked at my shoes, "Ellie, actually."

"Well, hi Ellie. I'm Chase. I'm one of Lydia's sons." We walked back to my suitcase that was waiting where I left it. I didn't really want to talk and I think he could tell because he stayed quiet. He seemed just as nervous as I was.

Once we got my other suitcase we walked out to his car. He carried the bigger suit case and put it in the trunk. I put the smaller one in after him and got in the passenger side of the car. He pulled out of the parking lot and onto the main road. He turned on the radio for a little while but all I did was stare out of the window.

"So, are you hungry? When we get home it's probably going to be around 6 and my mom should show up around that time. I can get you something if you want?" He looked at me and then back at the road.

I was a little bit hungry. "If you don't mind. I am kind of hungry."

He smiled and turned onto a different exit. "No problem." I looked through my bag to find my wallet. "No, I'll pay. Don't worry about it."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yeah it's not a problem." He pulled into the McDonalds drive through and pulled up to the speaker. "Is McDonalds okay?"