Chapter 36

Chapter 36

I woke up early to say goodbye to Bella and Kristen. It was their last day here. Their parents wanted them home. They had been gone for almost a week and they were missing a lot of school. I walked downstairs with them. Their flight was leaving at seven am and the airport was an hour away.

We left the house at five, and Lydia offered to bring them. Ethan also offered, but Lydia made him go back to bed. I was sure Chase would have offered as well, but he didn't. He's been a little distant since he told me everything. I don't blame him though.

I rode with them to the airport, sitting in the front with Lydia. I was sad that Bella and Kristen were leaving. They reminded me a lot of home, but I was really going to miss them. I liked having them back with me. It was tough being so far away from the two people who know me best in this world.

When we arrived at the airport I stepped out of the car and helped them with their bags. I walked them towards the doors that would lead them to get their tickets. It was upsetting. Seeing my two best friends stand in front of me ready to leave. It must have been like this for them too, when I left.

I closed my eyes and tried not to cry, but it was no use. I was going to cry one way or another. I ran into their arms and they wrapped around me. "I'm going to miss you guys so much," I whispered.

"Ellie, we'll miss you too," Kristen said and she kissed me on the cheek.

"Please, promise us you will come to us when you have a problem though," Bella said. "Or we'll have to come here again," she said with a laugh. I giggled at it too and nodded.

We stayed hugging for awhile, until I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was Lydia. "I hate to break this up, but you guys better go. They have already started boarding for your flight."

I backed away from them slowly. They blew kisses to me as they walked away to get their tickets and I stood next to Lydia watching. Lydia wrapped her arm around me and pulled me closer to her. I leaned my head on her shoulder and hugged her back as I watched Bella and Kristen walk off, farther into the airport. Tears slipped down my cheeks. I wiped them away as Lydia directed me back towards the car.

The car ride was pretty silent until we were back in the driveway. "You don't have to go to school today if you don't want. You probably want to get some more rest," she said.

I shook my head. "I'll go." I started to walk upstairs, but Lydia stopped me.

"Ellie," she said. I turned around and looked at her. "If you ever need to talk to someone, you can come to me. I mean it. I know I've said it before, but you can really come to me. I won't tell anyone what you say if you don't want me to. I just don't want you to feel like you're alone here. You have all of us." I nodded.

I walked down the stairs and hugged her. "Thank you." I hadn't realized how much she was trying to help me. I always just thought she was being really nice, but she really does care.

She kissed my forehead. "I'll bring you to school when I go to work," she said. Lydia leaves for work around 10. That meant I had about two and a half hours until school.

I went up to my room and decided to watch Netflix. I watched random movies. I wasn't really up for watching my usual shows. I was too upset about Kristen and Bella going back home. I laid in my bed holding the dolphin Chase got me at the carnival.

It was so cute. I loved the dolphin so much. He was so sweet. But he was becoming extremely distant. He probably blamed Keaton's accident on me. He wasn't completely wrong though. It was kind of my fault. I shouldn't have been so nosey and asking so many questions to find out what happened. I should have just minded my own business.