Chapter 39

Chapter 39

The next few days I would check in with Keaton seeing how he was feeling about the dance coming up. We had a week long vacation so there was plenty of time for us to talk about it. We went to the skate park a lot and Ary was still flirting. Every time I asked about it he said he was nervous. I told him not to worry, but I knew it wouldn't help much. He said he was worried because he had never slow danced before. I had done it plenty of times with Jared at my old school dances so I told him I would help him practice.

Each day up until Wednesday, Keaton and I would go into the living room and practice his slow dancing. A couple of times some of the older guys caught us and teased Keaton about it. I stood up for him, saying he was probably a better dancer than any of them now.

When I said that to Chase he said, "Wanna bet?" I wasn't expecting it and was shocked that he would say that. He put his hand out to dance with me, but I turned around and kept dancing with Keaton. I should have taken his hand and danced with him. I was just shocked. I didn't think he would have done that.

Keaton noticed that I felt something from it, because when Chase left, Keaton stopped dancing and asked why I didn't dance with him. He said, "I know that you like him. It's obvious and I know you know he likes you too. You're not stupid." He kept dancing after that.

When Wednesday rolled around, Paige was at the house ready to pick me and Ary up. We drove to Ary's house. It was pretty big. Not as big as the Johnson's house, but nothing was really. She walked out in converse and a t shirt and jean shorts. She had a hat on and she wore it backwards.

She got in the back and Paige and I turned around and smiled at her. She rolled her eyes. "Can you just drive, please?" she asked without patience.

We faced forwards laughing and drove to the mall. When we got there we went to the stores with the most simple, yet still pretty dresses. Ary looked around, but seemed lost. I walked up to her as she looked at a light pink dress.

"Do you like it?" I asked taking the bottom between two of my fingers and feeling the fabric.

She shrugged. "I don't know, I don't do this kind of thing," she said.

"Okay, well, I think it's a very pretty dress. You should try it on and see how it looks," I said taking one of the smaller sizes and handing it to her.

She took it in her hands and gave me a worried look before she went into a changing room.

She soon walked back out with the dress on. She had let her hair down and her rusty colored curls flowed in front of her light peach colored dress. The dress had a bit of lace around the v neck line at the top and a bit in the mid section, just above the waist line. It looked gorgeous.

I grabbed Paige's arm to bring her attention to Ary's beautiful dress. "That looks amazing," I said, pulling Ary out of the confinement of the changing room area and bringing her in front of the big mirror.

She looked at herself in amazement. Paige and I backed up and watched as her eyes roamed over the dress. "It's so beautiful, but I don't know," she said with a worried look on her face.

"What do you mean? You look amazing," Paige said.

I stood next to her and looked at her in the mirror. "What's wrong? Do you like it?" I asked.

"Of course I do," she said with a pause. "But, what if Keaton doesn't? What if he thinks it looks horrible? Or what if he does like it? Does that mean I'll have to dress like this all the time to get his attention?" She started rambling and coming up with tons of reasons why the dress might not be a good fit, but they were all ridiculous.