Chapter 19

Chapter 19

I walked up the steps of the bleachers with the rest of the Johnson family, besides Chase and Ethan of course. They were probably in the locker room with the rest of the team getting ready for their first game of the season.

I sat next to Keaton who played on his phone while he waited for the game to start. Most of the boys were looking down at a screen. All except William who was running to Lydia saying, "Mommy, I have to go potty."

"I told you to go before we left," Lydia said irritated because she had just sat down.

"I didn't have to go then," William protested while he danced around with his legs crossed.

Lydia started to stand up. I stopped her. "I'll take him."

"Are you sure? It's really not a problem for me," she said.

"No, I'll go," I said walking towards William. He came towards me and slid his hand in mine. We walked down the bleachers and to the bathrooms inside the school.

We passed the boys locker room on the way there and you could hear the guys talking with their coach. I thought I heard Chase's voice but I couldn't really tell.

"Did you know Chase is the captain?" William said looking up at me.

"Really? I didn't know that." I walked William to ladies room, still impressed by Chase's high rankings on the team. I opened the door and William ran in.

He went to an open stall and did his business. While I waited for him I looked in the mirror. It was a bright day so I had on my aviators and my converse. I wore denim shorts and a tank top that had clouds printed on it.

When William finished he came out and washed his hands. We walked out of the bathroom and saw the team leaving the locker room. Chase saw us and smiled. Ethan was behind him and when he saw William and ran over to us and picked William up. He spun him in a circle me out him back on the ground. "Wish me luck," he said with a smile and ran back to his team.

Jared came out last. We were closer by then and he also saw us. He walked up to me with a disappointed look on his face. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"Coach benched me for the game. He said it'd probably be best because I haven't been playing like a team player lately." I gave him and hug and he slowly and lightly hugged me back. "I'm sorry you came to see me lay and now you're not going to get to."

"It's okay," William said. "The whole family is here and we can watch Chase and Ethan still." William started to run towards the doors to leave the school. I caught him and picked him up.

"I'm sorry you can't play but I'll see you after the game. Maybe we can do something later," I said trying to cheer him up.

"Alright I'll let you know. Can you please not tell the Johnson's why I'm not playing? It'd be so embarrassing if they found out that's why," he said putting his head down.

With my free hand that wasn't holding William I reached out and rubbed his shoulder. He looked up at me. "Of course. I have to go though. I'll meet you back out here when the game is over."

With that I walked William back to the bleachers and when we got close I told him what Jared told us was going to be our secret and that he couldn't tell anyone.

He nodded and we sat with the boys and Lydia. I sat on the end again next to Keaton and William ran and sat in his moms lap.

Keaton had put his phone away an he was watching the field as the game was about to start.

"So which one is Chase?" I asked.

"He's number 4," Keaton said pointing to one of the bigger guys on the field. He patted some of the guys on the back and then he hand the ball to someone else on the team.