Chapter 9

We sat in the driveway, Chase holding onto the steering wheel tightly. He looked nervous like he needed to get something off his chest.

He turned around so he was facing me but didn't look up. He kept his eyes on the ground. "What were you and Jared talking about?" He asked never making eye contact with me. "Just wondering."

I opened my mouth to talk, but Keaton beat me to it. "Jared asked her on a date." He said crossing his arms in front of him. He looked at me making an isn't-that-right face.

I rolled my eyes. He's such a drama queen. "Yes, he did ask me out."

"And you said?" Chase asked quite quickly.

"Well, um," why did he care so much? "I said yes."

"Why?" Now he was looking at me. It came off kind of harshly but I'm sure he didn't mean it like that.

"I thought it would be fun." I said in my defense. Why was he being so protective about this.

"If your going out with him because you want to get over Jason, this shouldn't be the solution." There was a long pause before any of us said anything. "And it won't be the solution." That was it. Chase was being officially rude. I opened the car door and got out, making my way to a garage door that was... locked.

I rolled my eyes and walked back to the car and looked through Keaton's window, which was down. "Keaton, will you please open the garage door for me?" I asked holding my head up high and not looking at Chase.

"I don't have a key. Chase does though." I glared at Keaton.

"Will you please ask him to open it then?" I looked up at Chase and gave him the snottiest look I could conjure up, before turning around and making my way to the door.

Chase got out and opened it for me with Keaton, slowly, following behind him. "Keaton, when you get the chance, please tell Chase I said thank you for opening the door," with 'enphasis on the door.'

I turned around and started to walk through the door when I noticed Chase was in the way. I fake coughed a little bit and he moved out of my way while laughing at how "childish" I was being. I on the other hand didn't think it was childish at all. I had a very good reason for not talking to him. He was being a butt.

As I walked through the door and into the house I was instantly confronted by tiny children running around. There were two more than when I had left earlier. "Um?" I asked confused.

Luckily, Ethan came to my rescue and answered my question before I could say anything. "They're William's friends." I nodded and followed Ethan into the kitchen after taking my shoes off. It was no five o'clock and I really needed to help Lydia with the dinner, especially if we were cooking for two more.

"Oh, thank goodness your here Ellie. I was starting to think you forgot. I would not be able to cook for all these boys," she said as she put William back on the ground. Jeff walked in right as she did and she went to him to say hello. "Hi honey," she said as she went over to hug him.

He smiled at her and kissed her cheek. "Hi sweetheart. How was your day?" he asked.

"Wonderful. Me and Ellie are going to make pasta with meat sauce for dinner tonight and your favorite," she said sarcastically. "Salad, which reminds me. Ellie can you get out the lettuce and cucumbers. Oh," she hit herself in the forehead with her palm. "I should have asked earlier but do you have any allergies?"

I laughed nervously. "No, I'm not allergic to anything." I walked over to the refrigerator, getting the cucumbers and lettuce out and I placed them on the cutting board.