Chapter 28

Recap of chapter 27

In chapter 27 Ellie was thinking very negatively the whole day. She got up not wanting to do anything. She made herself go to school and avoided Jared almost the whole time. There was one time when he got her alone and he was hung over and high. He was talking nonsense and came after her trying to get her back. She pushed him away from her and went to lunch with Paige.

Throughout the rest of the day there were more negative thoughts. She kept thinking that she caused lots of people pain and she thought that she should suffer like he made others. She thinks she's been super mean and bitchy to Chase and she thinks he doesn't want anything to do with her. She thinks she drove Jason away and was a bad girlfriend. She thinks her parents are dead because she didn't come out of the room or do anything to help the night of the accident. Ellie is overwhelmed with all of these negative thoughts and when she gets home she brings herself to the bathroom and cuts her wrist.

Chapter 28

I woke up curled up in my bed with the blankets up to my neck. I pulled them down feeling well refreshed and rested. I think I needed some rest.

I raised my arms up above my head and stretched as I sat up. My arms dropped in front of me and I could see the cuts on my wrist. The amount had increased in the past week. The first time I did it there were only a few but now there were more. They weren't covering my entire arm but there was a fairly large patch at the bottom of my wrist.

I had done it three times. The other two were close. The last time I had done it, I was leaving the bathroom and there were still tears running down my face. I was in the process of pulling my long sleeve down my arm when I bumped into Keaton. He looked at me and raised my chin. He asked why I was crying and I just told him it was nothing. He looked down at my arm and I brushed past him to get to my room. I think he was catching on, but he hadn't said anything yet.

That was three days ago. I hadn't cut since.

I got out of bed and got ready for school. My morning routine had now become pretty steady. It was usually the same. I would throw on a long sleeve shirt most days or a jacket and I would continue to get ready. I would try to stay away from the guys since I could tell they didn't want to be near me and I would eat breakfast alone, silently.

When I arrive at school I stay quiet. I meet Paige by my locker, but I'm sure she doesn't like the burden that is me so I mostly just stand there while she talks to her other friends.

When the bell rings, Paige and I make our way to our classes. We take our seats at the front and waited for the teacher to begin talking. Paige usual listens intently and takes notes while the teacher is writing. I usually take notes as well, but a bit less intently.

Today was different though. When I got to school Ethan started talking to Paige at her locker. Paige came up to me, instead of me coming to her. She was cheery and happy and smiling. She held her hands in front of her nice pink dress and she looked at me excitedly.

"You seem happy," I said, clearly stating the obvious.

"Guess what," she blurted out. Before I could even take a breath and think she said, "Ethan asked me to go to the movies with him after their game." She jumped up and down a bit and giggled. She was so happy.

I smiled at her and nodded happily. That was great. I knew she liked him a lot. "That's great. I'm really happy for you."

She made a pouty face at me. "You don't seem very happy. What's wrong?" Paige asked, genuinely concered. "Nothing, I'm fine. I'm just a little tired." That was a complete lie, but I didn't want to drag her into this.