010- rebirth & death

"you know, i just noticed that we have something in common."

"which is?" you and megumi were stargazing. it was unimaginably late at night, and the two of you were lounging on the roof of gojo's house, sipping on boba.

"we both don't have dads."

"meg, you aren't funny." you said, regardless of the giggles you failed to hide. your head was in his lap as you continued to count the stars that stood out to you the most.

"(y/n)?"

"yo."

"could you promise me something?"

"anything."

"...never mind. it's stupid."

"what?" lifting yourself, you twisted your body to look at megumi properly. "no, tell me. what's wrong?"

"it's just..." he hesitated, avoiding eye contact with you.

"wait, i'm sorry. you don't have to tell me if you're not comfortable." placing a hand on his shoulder, you shrugged. "but if something's bothering you, i'm always here."

how could a simple touch have so much power over him? he stopped listening as soon as your hand grazed his exposed shoulder. he was wearing a black tank top. not his usual style, but he was thankful for making that random choice today.

smiling at him, you rested your head on his thigh again to look back up at the stars. after a few breaths, megumi spoke again.

"could you promise me that... you won't leave me?"

"boy, megumi, what the fuck?"

"IM SERIOUS, (Y/N)!"

"okay, okay. care to elaborate?"

he sighed, "i just noticed... i don't think i could function in a world that you're not in."

you got up again to sit across from him, allowing him to continue. "we're going to jujutsu tech in months, and things would get a lot more dangerous now that we're gonna be sorcerers... i guess what i'm saying is... i'd just feel a lot safer if you'd...

"... promise me you'd never leave me."

you were quiet, slightly scaring megumi. but you snaked your pinky finger and entwined it with his. "cross my heart."

he glanced at your hands together, biting his lip in thought. "hey." you whispered, cupping his cheeks with your hands. once you lifted his face, you saw the small pools of tears in his eyes.

"would you ever leave me?" you questioned.

"no." megumi answered surely, tears threatening to fall.

"then i won't either. for anything in the world...."

"but if it's money on the line then we might have to regroup."

"(y/n), you're not funny."

"looks like we have another thing in common!"

°°°

you woke up to the metallic taste of blood in your mouth. it was raining a lot harder than it was before, and some was going up your nose as you laid on the ground.

despite the pain in your rib that seemed to have multiplied over the amount of time you were unconscious, you lifted off the ground to stand. your movements made you cough up blood.