035- swords & heaven

"oka—"

a sword speared through megumi's core. laughing was followed after.

it was difficult to process what happened.

a curse with blond hair, was attacking both of you.

what worried you the most, was that he slightly reminded you of yourself. finding joy in inflicting pain to what you hated.

in fact, the man seemed insulted anytime you or megumi couldn't block one of his hits.

things were moving a lot quicker than you were used to. and suddenly, megumi was slammed against a wall, nearly unconscious, legs broken at unnatural angles.

you were in a slightly better condition. you were able to stand, but your ribs were shattered. your body was bruised and tired. your blessed energy was faltering.

you were tired... so, so tired.

you were used to being good at what you do. at this moment, you were currently stronger than your father, the best blessing to exist, in his glory days. this was the first time you truly felt powerless. it made you wonder how quickly he would have tapped out after fighting nearly five special grades in one night.

why were there's so many special grades here?

luckily, the gum in your mouth was doing a heavenly job at blocking your curse reactions. but you've been chewing this gum for hours. you felt sluggish. especially with so much blood lost.

this didn't seem like a fight you could win.

so megumi decided to pull out the big guns.

each shikigami needs to be exorcised before the user can control it at will. it's a sacred ritual that no one has been able to complete when it came to the...

"eight-handled sword divergent sila divine general mahoraga."

he had told you about this before. if he was ever in a situation where he might die, he would force his opponent into the ritual with him, taking the both of them down.

megumi fushiguro was going to die.

"run away," he croaked, gripping the hole in his stomach. "let the mahoraga defeat him."

refusing to answer him, you continued to fight the curse before you while the untamed shikigami joined the fight from afar. how dare he assume that you would leave him in a place like this. fighting every sensor in your soul telling you to flee, you threw a series of practiced kicks of blessed energy to the curse, attempting to stay away from his blade. though it wasn't aiming its attacks at you, the wind pressure of every swing the mahoraga would make you nearly knock you off your feet.

your veins were glowing, the usual warning that you're using too much blessed energy, way more than your body can handle. no matter how many well done attacks, the curse wasn't slowing down.

he broke into a sprint and came towards you. defensive, you put up a wall of purple and white flames. it was weaker than your usual attacks, and so he ran right through them and shoved his sword into you with a gut-wrenching squelch.

the sword ripped through your core, poking out of your back. white, hot pain spread through the point of impact to your whole body. it was like electricity and fire carelessly dancing on your bones, and it hurt so much. surely he had poisoned the blade. you had never experienced such a pain having the ability to bring tears to your eyes.