018- pride & remembrance

"nanami said you should get some rest."

"funny. he's too scared to tell me that himself or somethin'?"

"no." itadori said, wrapping a fuzzy, red blanket over you. he took the seat to your right and draped the other side of the cloth over himself, joining you in watching the sunrise on the bench swing on nanami's patio. the sky was an elegant pallet of oranges, pinks, and purples. it brought a sense of serenity to your rather impassive body. "he had to go report back to the higher-ups, but he told me to give you this."

without moving your head, you glanced down at his hands. he gave you an origami flower. the colors were alternating, purple and white: the colors of your blessed energy.

nanami was never one for words, but he would remind you of how much he cared for you with small gifts like this. the origami blossom was something your father had taught you, which you had then taught nanami after he had seen you making one. but that was years ago, it was surprising he remembered how to make them.

taking the flower, you positioned it in your lap to keep it from blowing in the wind. "i'll make sure to tell him thanks." your voice was gravelly from the previous events, making you cringe slightly.

as you continued to watch the sky change colors, itadori took a moment to look at you. there were bags under your eyes and a slight frown on your face. yet still, your posture was tall, and the sunlight bounced off your features beautifully.

even though you would never see yourself as a hero, itadori viewed you as one. taking hit after hit, yet still staying strong. you were is an inspiration. his motivation even.

"i'm sorry." yuuji said softly, breaking the peaceful silence. it took you a moment to understand what he said, and he was scared that you might have chosen to ignore him.

but once you understood, you turned to him and furrowed your eyebrows for him to clarify. the light action made your frown get deeper, making itadori feel even more remorseful. he felt as though he was the source of all of this sadness, and if it wasn't him, it was the demon inside of him.

"for any trouble that i've caused." he mumbled. he started to pick at his fingers nervously as you studied his face, specifically looking at the scar near his eye where sukuna would occasionally pop out.

"was it intentional?" you croaked.

his head span to face you. "wh-what? no!"

"then don't apologize when all you have been doing was in efforts to save those you felt like saving." you gave him a small smile. "you're a sorcerer, yuuji. just like all of us."

he stared at you for a second before giving you his iconic golden retriever smile. reaching over, he wrapped his arms around you and squeezed you tightly.

"go ahead and take the guest room, itadori." nanami said as he walked out the front door.

as yuuji got up, he wrapped the remainder of the fuzzy blanket around you, nodded at nanami, and made his way into the house.

"i thought you had to go speak to the higher-ups?" you asked genuinely.

nanami sighed as he sat in itadori's previous seat, exhaustion evident on his face. "you're more important."

you looked at him with eyes that reminded nanami that you were still a child. he hated that you had to live in a cursed world. if there was anything he could do to let you live an ordinary life, he would. but he knew that he didn't have the ability to do that. and so, he'll just do whatever he could to safeguard you, with your father keeping an eye on you from above as well.