𝔬𝔫𝔢

S O P H I A 

𝔗𝔬𝔫𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱 𝔦𝔰 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔣𝔦𝔯𝔰𝔱 night I am able to act like a normal teenager. my parents have been very protective of me and brother since we moved from Charleston and we haven't been able to go out alone. 

We did meet one family who has a son my brother's age, and a daughter my age. My mom told me they were friends with the two kids parents in high school, but my dad ignores my questions. I've learned to not ask too many anymore, it usually results in a lot of anger or stress. 

"What time will you be home?" I hear my mother ask Beck as I slip my shoes on. 

"I don't know mom, but we will be with the Cameron's. Plus I am about to be 20, Sophie's about to be 17, we will be fine," He replies slightly annoyed. I hear a few more words being exchanged but I do not listen closely. 

Instead, I go to the nearest mirror and adjust my shorts along with my hair. 

"Let's go!" I hear Beck call from outside. I run towards the front door and look back at my mom, before saying my goodbyes. 

The two of us get into the car and start driving fairly quickly. It's a relief to finally be able to go out alone. We moved from Charleston to Figure 8 Island. It isn't too far away but it is a similar area. 

Small beach town with a mix of wealthy and poor people. I learned from my new friends Sarah, that they call them Kooks and Pogues. Seems a little excessive to label each other with names but I guess they consider it necessary. 

Tonight we are going to a bonfire which is supposedly on "Pogue" territory but they have some sort of agreement that two nights a year it is for everyone. 

It only takes about ten minutes driving down the same one street to reach the correct beach access. It was already dark out so the only light you could see for miles, was the burning orange fire. 

"You guys made it, yay!" I hear a familiar voice say as they approach the car. 

"Finally!" I laugh. 

"Beck, Rafe is down by the fire," Sarah says pointing to her older brother. My brother nods and starts following in the direction. "So. How does it feel to finally be out," She smiles looking at me again. 

"Best feeling ever," I reply. I notice a tall blonde boy wearing a colorful button up start walking in our direction. Once he gets close enough, he swings an arm around Sarah. 

"Oh Sophie. This is my boyfriend, Topper. Topper, this is Sophie. The girl I was telling you about," She introduces us and I notice him look me up and down before looking at someone else and then back at me. I try to see who he was looking at, but it was too dark to tell. 

"Nice to meet you," Topper finally says breaking the moment of silence. He gives me a side hug and I smile. 

"You too,"

The three of us start walking onto the beach and get closer to the fire so we can actually see what is happening. Once we get close enough I look around at all the people. Topper walks away from us for a few moments and walks over to my brother, Sarah's brother, and another guy who I am unfamiliar with. 

Sarah and I drink and dance for a little with a few casual conversations with some of her classmates. My mom insisted we have to be home by midnight, but Beck convinced her that we will be safe and we might sleepover at the Cameron's so she doesn't worry. 

I think the sleeping over was only brought up so Beck can get as drunk and high as he wants without having to go home to our parents. And Ward and Rose are a lot more chill with their kids. 

A few more hours go by and nothing big happens. It, surprisingly, got kind of boring after awhile. Sarah and I were both too drunk to really leave though so we decided to just walk over to the boys and hope one of them is sober enough to drive. 

"Hey guys" Sarah asks stumbling over to her boyfriend. He rushes closer to her and picks her back up straight. 

"Time to get you two home," Topper laughs. He looks back at all the guys and they all give each other the same look. 

"Me and Rafe will drive," Beck says. Which makes sense since they are the two who brought their own car. Topper helps me and Sarah get to the cars without falling and Rafe jumps in his, while Beck jumps in his. 

The boy who I did not recognize earlier, whose name I learned is Kelce, got in my brother's car, along with Topper and Sarah. 

"Come on. Someone drive with me," I hear Rafe say looking at his friends. 

"Take Sophie," Kelce says. "She's sleeping at your house anyways,"

Me, being not too aware of what is happening, feels someone grab my arm. The car door opens and the boy picks me up and places me in his raised car. I feel him buckle me up and then get back in the drivers seat. 

"Thank you," I sing smiling at the blonde boy next to me. I hear a little laugh come from him as he starts to drive away.