𝔱𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶 𝔬𝔫𝔢

R A F E

I watch Sophie intensely as she looks at Sarah from the clear door. I prayed she didn't question me about the blood that was covering my sisters side, but I knew eventually she would ask. Sophie isn't the type of person to let things go un-noticed. 

I keep my hold on her to stop her from potentially running to Sarah and helping her. I didn't want to not help Sarah, but I knew all she would do is try to get me in trouble, like she always does. 

I was sure she was dead the day of the storm, seeing her earlier only made me numb. I had come to terms with having a dead sister, her already being dead to me on top of that. Seeing her now made me angry if anything. 

Sophie turns back over to me slowly and looks me in the eyes. I try not to keep eye contact, but it wasn't working. 

I try to keep my focus on Sarah who was now being dragged away by her pogue boyfriend. My grip of Sophie became tighter as I felt her start to fall. I noticed the tears in her eyes and I wanted to punch myself. It was all my fault. 

"Soph, I am so fucking sorry for everything," I tell her. I walk over to the bed and make sure she sits down instead of falling onto the floor. 

It takes a moment before she catches her breath to speak. 

"Was that Sarah?" Is all she managed to speak out. 

"Yeah," Sophie looks up at me. "Look, my dad ran into her and John B and then called me so I could help him and your dad with something and then a whole mess happened and Sarah was hurt but she'll be fine I'm sure. And everyone else is fine, we are leaving this island the second we can," 

"Sarah was hurt? How? And what do you mean a whole mess Rafe. What is going on?" The sad look on her face disappears as she looks up at me. 

"Sarah was uh- well. She was shot but she saw a doctor and everything is fine," I panic. "I can't really talk about the rest," 

"Shot! By who?" She starts screaming and I take a deep breath. 

"I don't know. There were multiple people firing guns, it could've been anyone," I lie. I could not let her know the truth. "Sophie, if I tell you what is going on you have to swear on everything, that you will never speak a word of this again," 

I watch her movements to see if she is going to lie to me. Sophie takes a deep breath and grabs my hand. 

"Who would I fucking tell!" She argues. 

"Alright alright shut up," I respond. "Look, there's gold. Like a lot of it. like 400 million dollars worth. And our dads have it- now they do. John B and all his pogue friends were trying to steal it and somehow succeeded. Almost. Anyways, We got it back, so it's all over," 

"So a group of four maybe five teenagers stole 400 million dollars from our families?" She asks not believing a word. 

"Yes. It was a treasure. The problem was they couldn't transport it anywhere, so it was easy to get back," I explain. 

Sophie looks at me, not believing a word still. I couldn't exactly read the expression on her face. Her hair was wet, she was sitting in front of me with my shirt on and a pair of shorts. I smiled to myself. It was not the time at all, but she was so effortlessly perfect in every way. 

"So what? Are we leaving now? Everyone said it would take a few days minimum," She responds finally. 

"Yeah, then uh- then Sarah was alive," I reply. I feel like that was the obvious factor that played into this whole plan. She looked down for a second before looking back at me. She was sitting on the edge of the bed while I stood in front of her. She carefully wrapped her arms around my waist and rested her head on me.