𝔱𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶 𝔣𝔬𝔲𝔯

almost at the end

S O P H I A 

I waited about twenty minutes for Rafe to come back with food. I went on my phone to try to find something to do in the mean time, but I couldn't find anything to entertain myself. Thankfully the time came quickly and Rafe was back at the house. 

"Soph! Can you come downstairs! I don't want crumbs in my room!" I hear him call from downstairs. I laugh to myself and decide to get up. My legs were feeling a little better so walking downstairs wasn't bad. 

"Since when are you a clean freak?" I ask once I can see him. 

"Since always, you just haven't noticed," He responds. He starts opening some take out boxes and sets the table for us. I laugh a little while he neatly places a folded napkin by both plates. Once he is finished he pulls out a chair for me and then pushes it back in. 

"Thank you Rafe," 

"Don't thank me, it's the least I can do," He smiles from across from me. 

Rafe had picked up Italian food which consisted of a salad for us to split, calamari, and two different pastas, one with red sauce, one with white. We ate in silence for a little, but it was comfortable. 

I didn't know if I wanted to bring up the whole situation of what could possibly be happening in OBX right now, but at the same time I couldn't get it out of my head. All I wanted was to know the full truth and want everyone else to let everything go. 

I know Rafe was guilty and that John B was set up to take the fall, but I could not let Rafe go to jail. I also would not be ok with John B. going to jail for something he didn't do. I know JJ knows that I know he's innocent, but I could not testify against the Cameron's. 

"Are you okay?" I lift my head up and notice my boyfriend looking at me with a bit of concern. 

"Yeah, just thinking," I reply. 

"About what?" 

"Things, I just want everything to go back to normal," 

He doesn't respond to my comment. Instead he keeps his eyes on me and I take a sip of water. I didn't want to make him feel bad for anything he did, but at the same time I know that was wrong. He should feel bad, he should get consequences, but something beyond just my love for him was clouding my judgment. 

"Why don't we distract you then? We can go walk around downtown or go by the beach," He suggests. I shrug- still in my thoughts. I hear him let out a soft sigh. 

We continue to eat until most of the food was gone. I helped Rafe clean up by putting away the leftovers and cleaning the table as he did the dishes. Not a word was said. There wasn't tension but it wasn't as comfortable as it was during dinner. 

Once the kitchen was all clean again, I started walking upstairs. Rafe quickly caught up to me and stopped me once we reached the top by grabbing my waist lightly. 

"Soph, what's on your mind. Specifically," He says. 

"I don't know. Just," I take a breath and sigh before looking up at him. "I'm just worried," 

"I'll be fine, everyone will be fine," He replies before kissing my forehead. "Let's go downtown, just walk around maybe take the boat out for a little, get dessert before I get my real dessert later," He says adding the sexual comment. 

I roll my eyes at him and smile. He cups my cheeks and kisses me for a moment before letting go. We both walk into his room and start looking for new clothes. Rafe lays out a pair of baby pink shorts and a thin white button up, before changing into it. He rolls the sleeves up and brushes his hair back. 

I change into a pink mini dress where the sleeves tie. I walk over to Rafe and mess his hair up a little so his middle part shows better. 

"I think you just like to see me messed up," He says moving my hands from his hair. 

"As hot as preppy Rafe is, I kinda like the rough look on you," I reply. 

"You like a lot of things rough don't you?" 

I try to ignore him again and walk into the bathroom. I brush my hair and then touch up some makeup. Once I was ready I met Rafe downstairs and slipped on a pair of white sandals. My dress was hotter pink compared to Rafe's baby pink shorts but we somewhat matched without meaning to. 

He grabbed the keys from his dad's convertible and we went on our way. It took about ten minutes to get downtown and then we had to find parking, which took no time. 

We started walking down the main strip and I felt Rafe's arm wrap around me. 

"What would you like to do first?" He asks. 

"Ice cream?" I suggest. 

We walk a little further until we reach an ice cream ship. When we went inside there was surprisingly a long line. I leaned myself against Rafe and he wrapped both his arms around me from behind. 

"You look really pretty tonight," He whispers. I smile to myself and then look up at him. 

"You don't look too bad yourself," I reply.

The two of us stood like that for a few more moments until I notice something from the window. Without Rafe noticing, I peak out and notice someone waving towards me. She was young, but older than me. She had long braids and dark skin. 

Once I confirmed she was trying to get my attention I looked back at Rafe. 

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom, There's one across the street," I tell him. "I'll be right back," 

I slide out of his grip and calmly rush outside to the women I saw earlier. I felt someone grab my arm and cover my mouth the second I made it outside. I was pulled into a small alley next to the ice cream place and then let go of. 

"Hold on a second," The girl with the braids says. Her accent was strong and it was clear to me now that she was a native. I stayed in silence for a few seconds until two people started walking towards us. 

"Sophie," 

I make eye contact with the girl and instantly look down. I wasn't sure how to face Sarah, especially right now with the mix of emotions I felt about the whole thing. 

"Sarah," I reply. 

It took us both a second to realize it was each other but once reality set it, I felt myself rush to hug her, which to my surprise she returned. 

"Sarah, I'm so sorry, I don't know what to d about any of this I just kinda found out about everything and I-" I stop and look at John B who stood next to the girl with braids. "I'm really sorry John B. I won't let anything happen to you, but I can't let anything happen to Rafe either so I really don't k-" Sarah cuts me off this time. 

"Look. We have everything planned out already. I promise I won't let Rafe take the fall if you can help us get back home," She says. 

"Sarah, Ward is back, and I know for a fact that John B will take the fall. And I really don't trust that you won't rat out Rafe," She sighs and looks back at John B. He walks closer to me and we make eye contact. 

"What if we pin it on Ward?" He says. "In our plan, everything falls on Ward. He killed my dad, tried to kill me, and was the reason why Rafe did what he did. We will pin everything on him, please Sophie, we don't have much more time. Give us the keys to the boat," 

I didn't have time to hesitate knowing that if I stay out here any longer Rafe will notice it is taking awhile and somehow appear like he always does. I take a deep breath and grab the keys from my pocket. 

I take a few more seconds before taking the boat key off the rest of the keychain. 

"It's on the dock. There should be enough fuel to get you back. Text me as soon as you get home," I put the key out in front of me for John B to grab. He takes them and as they start to walk away I look at Sarah. "And if you're lying about keeping Rafe safe-" I pause for a moment knowing what I would do is wrong. "I'll testify against you," 

"I love you, I promise we will do our best to get everything under control," Sarah gives me a quick hug before her, the girl with braids, and John B run away with the boat key.