chapter-30

🥀Fallen rose petals.
..................................................................

(Melody pov)

March came rushing by so fast that I barely noticed it but today the seniors of our school are graduating, and Elliot is one of them. I desperately wanted to be there cheering him on but unfortunately his parents ended up surprising him with their presence at the graduation ceremony. I had to sneak out because I knew if they saw me, they might recognize me and that would be a nightmare for Elliot. So, it is currently six in the afternoon, and I am in the gardens of my home simply sitting on a swing. I muttered underneath my breath as I desperately wanted to see Elliot, but I cannot...

I have been texting him and he isn't responding which makes things worse. I am petrified as his parents being here isn't good at all because if they find out that their son is dating the girl that caused the death of their other son well all hell will break loose. Karma is a bitch, isn't she?...

My phone began to buzz and so I grabbed it from inside my hoodie pocket and answered the text messages...

Elliot texted that he needed to go back home and that he will return in two days. He has a family emergency, so I understood but it didn't settle the uneasiness that grew within my heart. I got off of the swing and walked towards the bushes of roses. I grabbed one and pricked my finger on a thorn making it bleed a little. I winced slightly but the sickening relief that came afterwards made me feel like I was crazy. All the anxiety vanished as soon as the thorn tore away at my flesh on my finger and it was that feeling of relief that made me yearn for more. Just like the fallen rose petals I am unraveling myself yet again...

I took the rose with me and headed inside only for a vivid memory to rip through my mind making me stumble and stop dead in my tracks...

There I was watching Elliot with bloody hands looking as pale as a ghost as his parents cried and screamed while the paramedics pushed a dead body on a stretcher towards the ambulance. I remember the terrified look on Elliot's face as he couldn't even cry; he could only stare with wide scared eyes.  And just like that our lives changed forever. Our huge house that has been hollowed was once again empty as all the joy of the kids that once played there was now gone. All the homes that rested within the neighborhood simply connected by gates and driveways could see the chaos that was awakening that painful day...

I closed my eyes as I tried to stay calm, but it felt like I was reliving every scene that unfolded that day...

I hadn't noticed that I let go of the rose and that it was now lying on the floor.

I heard footsteps approaching me as I stood in the entrance of the house. My vision was blurry as I felt dazed. "Miss? are you alright?". The voice of the young butler with beautiful blue eyes asked. He waited for a response but not a single word was uttered by me as I stood paralyzed. He snapped his fingers trying to snap me out of my trance, but it wasn't working. "Miss Melody?". He said as his voice came out a little louder. He placed his warm hand on my face which caused me to flinch. "Forgive me for what I am about to do ma'am, but you don't look well". He said before picking me up bridal style and slowly walking towards the staircase. He walked up the stairs in a careful manner as he didn't want to drop me. Once upstairs he took me to my bedroom....

I broke into a fit of sobs as everything fell apart without thinking I cling onto him for dear life as he still held me within his warm arms. He then sat me down on the bed as he moved away some fallen hair strands from my face. "Everything will be ok ma'am; I will go make you a cup of tea and bring you your favorite cookies too". He spoke in such a caring manner that made me feel a little peace within me. I wiped my tears as the heaviness of the weight of pain lifted itself off just enough for me to breathe. He waited until I met his gaze in order to make sure I was once again in the present. He then stepped out of the room. I brought my hands up to my head and squeezed my eyes shut as I felt like I was going to explode with pain. I gripped my hair tightly as the memories kept on swimming. Why can't I just be free from the past?...

I haven't felt this way since I tried to kill myself. This isn't fair anymore. I can't live in the past anymore. I don't want to.

I let go of my hair and opened my eyes as I inhaled sharply as I gripped the bedsheets with my hands. My body felt heavy and weak as my legs dangled from my bed. I sat there clutching the bed sheets as my knuckles turned white, but I released my hold as I heard my bedroom door opening and I hadn't realized that it must have been a couple of minutes already and that the butler had returned already...

He walked inside and placed the tray on the nightstand that was next to my bed. 

He poured the tea into a teacup and placed it alongside a plate that contained my favorite cookies, which of course are chocolate chips. He then handed me the plate and I couldn't stomach it as much as I wanted too. I shook my head and glanced up at his tall figure that was now putting the plate back on the tray and returning his gaze at me. "Would you like anything else ma'am?". I felt myself get lost within his gaze as it was pulling me and asking me to lose myself. This tall man has been my butler for the past two years and even though he is only three years older than me, he has never looked at me the way he has now. I shook my head as I tore my gaze from his and placed my hands together on my lap...

"Thank you, I will be fine".

I said even though I doubt every word that came out of my mouth. He nodded his head quickly and was about to walk away but I stood up. "Please let what occurred today stay between us, I do not need my parents knowing". I said firmly as my weak voice came out fragile instead of strong. His facial expression softened as he nodded his head in agreement. "Get some rest ma'am, if you need anything I will be at your service". He then steps back and walks towards the door and walks out while closing the door behind himself...

I sat back down on my bed and ended up lying down resting my head on my pillow. The memories lingered making it difficult to sleep or find peace. I used to get episodes such as the one I had today, but I haven't had one in over four years. I sigh and sit up in bed as my old habits of self-medicating made me crave the pills that helped me sleep during the night. I got up and walked towards my bathroom as the memory of myself lying in the bathtub near death in my other home made me hesitant. Nonetheless I looked away from my walk-in shower and glanced at myself in the mirror before opening the medicine cabinet and taking out the pills for sleep. I popped two in my mouth before returning to my bed and taking a sip of the tea...

I then laid down and closed my eyes only for the nightmares to reawaken me yet again for the third time that night...

.........................................................................
Hmm

The memories of the past are endless chaos of tangled webs.

Melody is struggling with her past demons.

As Elliot had to travel to the home of his parents and he graduated from school with help from his parents since he was behind in school.

Any questions?.