Part 37. Brother

As I rode on my horse I thought of my entire life's purpose. It's always been to kill and become commander, but at the same time protect Lexa.

When Lincoln found me, my purpose was to protect him, and maybe find my way back to my sister.

Now I could only fulfill one of those purposes. Protect Lincoln.
Years earlier at the conclave.

"Master, what is that?" Alec, one of the boys in my novitiate class asked as he pointed to dust escaping the tower.

We all looked to Titus expecting an answer and his face fell, "Novitiates, you've been training your entire life for this. Our beloved commander has fallen, let the conclave begin."

All 9 of us looked at each other, we were terrified, out of the 9 that stood, only 1 would survive.

——————————————

We all were in the worgeda , barely lit by candles. Everyone had their master in front of them, advising them. I had Indra and I looked over to see Lexa paying close attention to Anya.

"Hey, you need to focus. This is the most important moment of your life Bela. Love has no place here." Indra snapped at me.

I immediately turned my attention back to her, "What more could you teach me Indra?"

"There is always something to be learned." Indra explained.

"Tonight you fight with honor, for your people." She added.

I looked at Indra and gave her a firm nodded. I was shaking because of how nervous I was, I wasn't scared to lose my life, I was afraid I'd win. I'd have to kill friends just to survive.

I felt Indras  arms hold me firmly as she stopped my shaking.

Once I stopped Indra looked at me and handed me my mother's sword. I smiled as I looked down at the beautiful design the blade had on it, my smile faded as I realized this would soon be filled with blood that wasn't my own.

"Bela Kom Trikru. Step to your flag." I heard from the outside.

"No matter what happens, I'm proud to call you my second." Indra said as she pulled me in for a bear hug. I returned it.

"Thank you." I said before turning my back on her and walking outside.

As I walked out of the dark and the sunlight hit my face I heard cheering from the crowd.

I ignored it as I found my place under a building.

"Lexa Kom Trikru. Step to your flag.

"Luna Kom Flokru. Step to your flag."

"Eden Kom Louwada Klironkru. Step to your flag."

Names kept being called out until a few minutes later all 9 of us found each other standing under different buildings.

Once the horn was sounded loudly some ran away trying to stay as far from the fight and others ran towards each other in the middle. Prepared for the bloodbath.

I was among those who ran to the middle. I ran to a girl named eve as she ran towards me.

As she jumped in the air prepared to slice me in half I side stepped out of the way causing her to fall on the ground. As she turned on her back I aimed my sword at her throat but she rolled from underneath me.

She got up and began trying to hurt me in every way possible but she revealed every one of her moves allowing me to block them.

Once I realized she was becoming tired I ripped her sword out of her hands with my own sword and without blinking I prepared for my final move.