Part 64. Pandoras Box

6 years after Praimfaya:

"Bring in the next combatants." Octavia said after the first round was over.

The next combatants walked in and among them was Marcus Kane. Nadia immediately turned around to look at me, scared but I made sure to keep my face neutral and watch ahead.

As he stood in the pit he locked eyes with me, it physically hurt me putting him in there, in these 6 years he's become the closest thing to a father to me, not to mention, Nadia loves him with all her heart.

Gaia raised her hand and our people's cheers immediately fell silent.

"Each of these 4 combatants have committed crimes against Wonkru. They are our enemies... traitors to our people, traitors to our code of strength, unity, and honor, but today one of you will be given a chance to once again be called brother or sister. However first, you must survive. The only rule in this arena is, be the last." Gaia paused as people began to cheer loudly, "As always, as we invite death into this hall, we honor it."

As every lowered their heads I kept mine up and continued eye contact with Lane who didn't lower his head.

"Omon gon oson." Gaia said. The rest of our people repeated these words after that the warriors looked up expectantly, "Be the last."

At Gaia's words they all immediately ran for their weapon, Kane stood there for a hot second and all I wanted to tell him was to run, to fight, finally he ran and got a weapon, well not really a weapon, just a shield, that's what he gets for waiting. A woman began fighting him harshly and of course, Kane wanting to be peaceful, only used defense, no offense. He's getting his ass beat.

I could hear Nadia and Ethan cheering for Kane while Gaia tried to stop them.

"Mom please, they'll kill him." Nadia pleaded. She's so big now, from a small 6 year old, to a beautiful young woman. 6 years down here and she hadn't lost her humanity.

"Believe in your grandfather and he might surprise you." I said to her without taking my eyes off the fight.

The woman toward over Kane as he lay on the ground and I really think this is the moment, the moment I sentenced him to death.

That was until another man chopped off the woman's head with his sword, 'saving' Kane, but no he has to fight the last person in the arena other than himself.

The man had a large hammer and began fighting Kane. He was doing best to defend with his little shield and it was working decently until the hammer managed to cut through the shield. Once Kane fell hard on the ground, the man cut his abdomen and he winced in pan. The man walked around the Arena admiring the cheers he was getting. He considered himself already victorious.

When he walked back to Kane to finish the job, Marcus took the axe next to him and cut the man as he stood up. Once the man was on his knees before Kane, he shook his sword to his throat and when he pulled it out, the man dropped dead on the ground. A simple wave of relief came over me once I realized Kane is the last, the cheering for louder until Kane took the axe and continuously jammed it into the dead mans body, you could see the tears running down his face and the guilt that filled it.

The crowd began booing in disagreement, "He's losing them." Indra pointed out.

Once Kane stopped, he looked up at the sound of Gaia's voice, "Marcus Kane. In sterling life-giving medicine from Wonkru, you have committed a crime against our people, but you are the last."

Gaia turned to look at Octavia and I, "Heda, Blodreina, has he earned his freedom.?"

Octavia and I looked at each other, the red blood covering her forehead whilst making the green color of her eyes pop. As usual I wore the circular stamp on my forehead with my sisters ear paint across my face.