Prologue

I have no idea what I'm doing here
I can't even remember what made me come up here. As I looked up at the stars I mindlessly created a ball of water in my right palm. The liquid flowed and morphed, getting bigger and bigger as my thoughts got deeper and deeper.

I wasn't necessarily focused on one thought, it was more a mixture of stress, fatigue and hunger. Two of which I could solve easily, but I didn't feel like moving from the comfort of my spot at the top of Avengers Tower.

I watched as a shooting star streaked across the night sky, only to realise far too late that it was Ultron flying towards me.

I got up instantly, morphing my ball of water into fire and readying myself into a fighting stance. I reached for my earpiece to warn the others, only to find that it wasn't in my ear, well shit, I thought to myself.

"Hey, baby bro!" I joked, trying to maintain what little composure I had left in me.

"Your jokes belittle you, just as they did my creator - your father." Ultron looked the same as he had last year in Sokovia, all but the eyes. Those emotionless, destructive, red eyes were seared into my brain forever, however, these were different. These were cold, dead and black as if all the power had been drained from Ultron's body. Like he was no longer in control, but some bigger force was using him like a puppet.

"Why don't I call him over? We can have a family reunion!"

With that, Ultron levitated into the air, attempting to bring down his large, metal fist onto me, but I dodged out of the way before the impact, extinguishing the flame in my hands. I tried to form another ball of fire in my palm but no matter how hard I tried, it wasn't working, great! I guess I'll have to do this the old way!

"I guess you and dad are still having trouble communicating," as I said this I threw a hard punch at Ultron's torso, but he caught my fist before I was able to land it. I stumbled slightly and he used this advantage to trip me over and I fell to the floor.

"I mean, honestly, what exactly do you expect from him when your idea of communicating your feelings is dropping a whole ass city onto a planet!" He was about to jump on top of me when I regained my composure and rolled out of the way just in time. He hit the floor with a loud thud as I raced to pin him to the floor.

"You think Sokovia was the end? No, Stark, Sokovia was just the beginning..." he signalled to the sky above him. The sky that, once upon a time, gave me comfort. But right now, as it is filled with multiple black holes, I could think of no greater fear.

"What did you do?!" I exclaimed, more fearful than angry. "What did you do?!"

"What I should have done in Sokovia"

That can't be good! Suddenly, things started to emerge from the black holes.
I saw the Chitauri army come through to my left, the leviathan from above me and as I glanced to the right, on the next skyscraper over, Loki.

They all looked at me, and in an instant, I felt myself being dragged to the edge of the roof. Without my powers in working condition, I couldn't do anything against my attackers.

I teetered on the edge, begging, praying to be saved, but it was futile.

I felt the pressure on my back, the breath leave my lungs and then the wind cutting through the body like daggers, as the floor became closer and closer...