15. Rising Suspicions

Paparazzi - Lady Gaga

I'm your biggest fan I'll follow you until you love me
Papa-paparazzi
Baby, there's no other superstar
You know that I'll be, your papa-paparazzi
Promise I'll be kind
But I won't stop until that boy is mine
Baby you'll be famous, chase you down until you love me
Papa-paparazzi

By the time Friday rolled around, Amara had caught up with all of her homework, people recognised her in hallways, even teachers, which made Amara happy, knowing she was no longer an outsider.

It also helped that Amara was going on her first, ever sleepover at MJ's today. And Amara was slightly embarrassed to admit that she was actually very excited. She couldn't believe that she had gone from being excited about taking on a robot army to going to her very first sleepover.

When she had told her father, he was almost as excited as she was, maybe even more.

He had been working in his lab with Bruce when she walked in and told him she wouldn't be coming home after school on Friday and after seeing the concerned father look on his face, she clarified that she was going to a sleepover.

"A sleepover? You? This is awesome! You're gonna have so much fun and then you'll go again because you had so much fun to repeat said fun, it'll be a vicious, but effective fun cycle. And your gonna feel like a normal teenager who does normal teenager stuff, like not being an enhanced human who wears spandex."

"I do not wear spandex! My suit is made of a carbon polymer made to withstand the majority of bullets and knives out there and any dangerous circumstances my powers would put me in," Amara exclaimed.

"God, you're just like me, aren't you?"

"Yes, I am. Which means you can't even criticise me because, in your eyes, you're perfect!"

He had hummed in agreement before saying, "Go! Have fun at your sleepover! FRIDAY'll contact you if we need anything. Be a kid."

—————

Now Amara was approaching the end of the day, and she had 'coincidentally' bumped into Peter on the way out of school. If she was going to this sleepover, that meant she couldn't keep an eye on him for at least two days, so she thought it'd be best to just talk with him, maybe plan something so they could spend time together, strictly for professional reasons, of course.

"Hey, Peter!"

"Hey! What's up? Aren't you going over to MJ's today?"

"Yeah! I just saw you and thought I should say hi; I feel like I haven't seen you all day!"

"Didn't we just have calculus together?" Peter asked sceptically.

Amara blinked while she registered what he has just said, "Right! Yeah, I remember, I just - we didn't actually get a chance to talk, so... okay fine! I just wanted to talk to you! Is that...fine with you?"

Peter tried to stifle his laugh, but Amara caught it, "Yeah, what do you want to talk about?"

Amara froze, she hadn't actually thought that far ahead, yet, "Well, actually, I had a question... about... uh..." she thought desperately, trying to figure something out, then she remembered, "Calculus!"

"Calculus?"

"Yeah, I've been finding some of the work kind of hard lately, I didn't want to tell anyone cause I thought that they'd judge me, but you're my friend, so I can trust you, right?" Amara hated that she was lying to Peter, and she also hated how she was lying about her academic ability, which she had never had to do before. It felt belittling and childlike.