13. We Meet At Last

Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Tears for Fears
Welcome to your life
There's no turning back
Even while we sleep
We will find you
Acting on your best behaviour
Turn your back on Mother Nature
Everybody wants to rule the world

Amara Stark stepped in front of her full-length mirror to admire her suit; she hadn't had the opportunity to wear it in quite some time, so this was an almost forgotten feeling. Nevertheless, wearing her suit had never felt strange or unnatural, so it didn't take too long to adjust.

The black and green suit was tight and fitted, showing off the definition in Amara's muscles. Her headpiece rested on top of her head and covered her face from the nose up, extending downwards to cover her cheeks so that only her mouth was visible. The eye slots glowed where the heads-up display came to life, FRIDAY automatically programmed into it, ready to go.

Amara had always felt that this was her truest form: as the Aura. Saving and protecting the world and its people has always been the path that Amara wanted to take; she has known this for quite some time and this would always continue to be her ambition.

Perhaps this was why she simply could not comprehend the fact that Peter actually wanted to finish school and study further education. He truly wanted to make an honest living for himself, when he quite obviously didn't need to. He could easily find his place among the Avengers - fellow superheroes, just like him - and Tony Stark, the billionaire would pay him a fairly generous salary. But the newbie superhero still wanted to go to college and Amara couldn't figure out why.

But there was certainly no time to think about that as she made her way to her balcony and said, "FRIDAY, notify the others that I've gone out."

"Right away, Miss Stark."

And with that last confirmation, Amara leapt off of the ledge and allowed herself to drop before manipulating the air around her to lift her up, just as she was about to hit the ground.

Amara had always loved flying, it was one of her favourite abilities and the one that she was most delighted about learning all those years ago. Although the circumstances surrounding how she found out she had this ability were less than ideal, but that was a story for another time. It made her feel free, as though all the troubles of the world slowed down and dissipated around her as she could feel the cool breeze through her hair, the sharp drop of her stomach when she let herself fall and that thrill of picking herself back up again.

But she couldn't distract herself today, not when she had an important job to do...

"FRIDAY? The second we arrive, you know what to do. I only want to have to do this once."

"Yes Miss Stark. Don't worry I shall fulfil my obligations."

—————

Peter Parker was tired. And bored. But mostly tired. He had been swinging from building to building since four o'clock and the most interesting thing to happen to him all night was when he saw all the lights on a single street simultaneously turn on for the night and when he looked down, Amara had finally replied to his multiple text messages.

But their conversation was brief and it was over pretty quickly. He didn't want to send another message in case she had fallen asleep - it was already 10 o'clock, after all.

Peter was so beyond bored! He cancelled on Ned for this, too. You could be watching The Empire Strikes Back, right now, but no! You had to patrol the streets when there is nothing to patrol!

Just when Peter was about to turn in for the night, his spider sense warned him of a disturbance not too far from where he was currently standing. Peter quickly pulled his mask back over his head and made his way towards...whatever was going on.