25. Stat Report

Million Dollar Man - Lana Del Rey

You got the world, but baby at what price?
Something so strange, hard to define
It isn't that hard, boy, to like you or love you
I'd follow you down, down, down
You're unbelievable

Amara's heart was pounding. She was incredibly nervous and she didn't even know why. She was doing this to help Steve, nothing would happen to her if she failed. Of course that only made her more nervous: someone else's life was riding on this.

Perhaps she was being slightly over dramatic, but at the time, her nerves had taken over nonetheless.

She quickly realised that she wasn't going to be able to do this, so she changed her destination to the bar, poured herself three shots and took them one after the other. She wiped her mouth with the back of her hand and shook her head, all of the nerves leaving her body.

She resumed her journey, slightly tipsy and extremely overconfident.

When she reached Natasha's bedroom door, she stopped herself before she knocked, "you can do this, just relax, she'll be able to sense your fear, like a dog," Amara whispered to herself. She let out a long breath and knocked on the door.

After a moment, Natasha appeared in the doorway, confused at first, but smiling after she saw Amara. "Hey, kid. Do you need something?"

"No, just wondering if you wanted to have some coffee?" She replied.

"Why...?" Nat asked.

"Not really a single reason. I just have a lot of stuff going on, and I wanted to talk to my friend about it, maybe get some advice?"

"What kind of advice?" She asked, stepping out of the door and closing it behind her.

"Uh- I went on a date," Amara said, before quickly adding, "among other things, that have made some stuff more complicated."

"Add some whiskey to that coffee?"

Amara laughed, "Sure."

"Looks like you need a girl talk, shall I call Wanda?" Natasha asked.

"No, I- uh, she already knows. I ran into her after this all happened and I just needed to vent," Amara said, proud of herself for not slipping up as of yet.

They got to the kitchen and Nat began making coffee as Amara sat down. "Okay, let's start with the date, who's the guy?" Nat asked setting their cups down and taking a seat next to her.

"I...met him in Queens. I was waiting for my order at this little coffee shop and he was the barista. He was kind of flirting with me, and I kind of flirted back, and then he wrote his number on my cup and gave it to me," Amara said, spinning the lie as soon as it came to mind.

"And I'm assuming you called him," Nat said, taking a sip of her coffee.

"I texted him," she said.

"Right, I forgot about the new generation's allergy to phone calls," Nat joked.

"He asked me on a date and I met up with him last Saturday, I think it was?," Amara said, looking up, trying to remember this fake memory. "But this is where I started getting confused, because I was talking to MJ and I told her it was a lunch date, and she said that going for lunch is more like hanging out and it's not a proper date. Then Wanda said that same thing. She said especially if it's a first date."

Amara watched as Nat nodded her head while she continued talking. "What did he explicitly say? Did he say it was a date?" Natasha asked.

"Uh, his exact words were, do you want to hang out with me sometime. Then he said, we could get coffee. With a question mark," Amara was having a lot more fun creating this fake guy up than she thought she would.