44. All My Fault

making the bed - Olivia Rodrigo

Sometimes I feel like I don't wanna be where I am
Getting drunk at a club with my fair weather friends
Push away all the people who know me the best
But it's me who's been making the bed
I'm so tired of being the girl that I am
Every good thing has turned into something I dread
And I'm playing the victim so well in my head
But it's me who's been making the bed.

Amara sat in silence on the car ride home. She stared out the window as silent tears fell down her face.

"So..." Tony began, "Peter seems... nice. Wasn't too keen on the way he hugged you with his hands round your waist, though."

Amara looked at her dad and rolled her eyes.

"And then he had them there for a while," Tony ignored her and carried on, "I kept waiting for him to move his hands away. I almost got out of the car but I didn't cause, you know," he gestured to Amara and grimaced.

"Do we have to talk about this, right now?" Amara sniffled.

"Well I'm leaving when we get home, so..." he looked at her, "Hey, you crying?"

Amara scoffed, "No, I'm just wiping all of my makeup off, intentionally. And what do you mean you're leaving? I'm not coming with you?"

"Nah, don't need you today. You can come tomorrow on the jet," Tony shrugged.

"On the jet," Amara repeated. "Where Peter's gonna be. You really think he's gonna get on the plane if he knows I'm on it?"

"That's why he won't know. And then you'll both be trapped. Gives you a few hours to fix your issues and then come to Berlin and kick Cap's ass."

"I really don't think that's a good idea..." Amara started.

"Amara. With the accords going the way they're going, I don't know when you're gonna go back to school. So I don't know when you're gonna see him again. You need to resolve... whatever this is, before that. If you don't resolve everything now, you're gonna hate yourself for it. And then hate me, because you seem to do that a lot, these days."

Amara sighed, "Okay. Fine. You're right. You win, again."

"I always win," Tony shrugged.

—————

The next day was a lot less hectic than Peter originally thought it would be. Happy came to pick him up around 10, so they'd have time to get there and do safety checks on the plane.

He quickly said bye to May and took his bag down to the car, where Happy loaded it into the trunk and Peter sat in the back seat.

Peter had packed a small camcorder in order to document everything that happened. He was going to meet the Avengers. All of them. At the same time. And although he didn't know what he was actually supposed to be doing, and despite what had happened yesterday, Peter was extremely excited and he definitely wasn't about to let his argument with Amara ruin something that he would have died for a week ago.

The camcorder also helped as a distraction from that certain somebody that he was going to try his best to ignore the whole trip. If he couldn't evict her from his thoughts, he could at the very least evict her from his eye line.

As the car sped past buildings, Peter got his camcorder out of his backpack and turned it on, pressing record.

"New York. Queens," he started in a deep voice. "It's a rough borough, but, hey, it's home."