31. Lockdown

The Grants - Lana Del Rey

So many mountains too high to climb
So many rivers so long, but I'm
Doin' the hard stuff, I'm doin' my time
I'm doing it for us, for our family line
Do you think about heaven?
Oh-oh do you think about me?

"Tony, you should talk to her."

"No. She doesn't want me to and I don't even know what I'd say."

"You're gonna have to talk to her at some point. How long could this go on for?" Nat said, trying to talk some sense into Tony.

"You don't understand, I felt bad, I went up to see her and she was pissed, she said she hated me," Tony gulped. He had been just outside the door when Amara had been letting out her anger towards him to Pietro.

"She didn't mean that, Tony. She's just angry," Steve said.

"No. I don't blame her. She's right. She has every right to hate me."

The guilt was tearing him up inside. He was absolutely not meant to bring up his theory about Amara's powers. It wasn't even a full theory, but it was all he had. He had run scans on Bruce and there was nothing in his bloodstream, or manually attached to his body to suggest external tampering. But there was also no proof other than a vague theory on Amara's involvement.

He hated that he brought that up. He didn't want to, but he was so angry, he just got carried away. Now he has no idea how to fix this, or if he even could. His stomach churned at the thought of never being able to have that relationship with his daughter back to normal.

"Give her time. It'll be fine," Nat reassured him.

"I hope you're right."

—————

The Saturday passed by, quickly. Amara was up in her room, being visited by one Avenger at a time so she was never alone, just like her father had said, but he still hadn't come up to see her, not once since their fight.

But this had given Amara time to think. Think about what her father had said. And although it was horrible, she couldn't help this horrible creeping feeling that perhaps all of this was her fault. Maybe she had caused this. Maybe she really was a bad person, who had no idea what she could do or how to control her emotions.

She had thought back to her kiss with Spiderman just the night before. The guilt had begun to set in. She was still lying to him. How long was this possible going to last? She couldn't even talk to him for the next few weeks. This was only gonna get worse. The guilt was only gonna get worse.

All of this along with the creeping feeling that her father may have been right was enough to send her over the edge.

She had cried more times than she can count, tears never leaving her face for too long before more came to take up the space left by those dried up.

Amara had decided that enough was enough, she couldn't stay up here forever. And she definitely couldn't leave her relationship with Spiderman hanging on the air for that long either.

"Vision?"

"Yes, Miss Stark," he replied, looking up from his book.

"Is your..." she rolled her eyes, "shift almost over?"

"I believe I still have just over twenty minutes," he replied, attempting to smile warmly - something that Wanda had been working on with him this week.

"Do you think you could... not that you're not great company, you are, but... do you think you could swap with Pietro?"

"Pietro is not on your official list of chaperones," he said.