38. Funerals From London to Vienna

Back to Black - Amy Winehouse

You went back to what you know
So far removed from all that we went through
And I tread a troubled track
My odds are stacked
I go back to black
•••
We only said goodbye with words
I died a hundred times
You go back to her and I go back to

The ceremony was in London, where Margaret "Peggy" Carter was born.

Steve had asked Amara and Sam to accompany him; he didn't want to be alone on the flight.

Although Amara didn't want to push, especially at a time like this, she had to try and convince Steve and Sam to sign the Accords. She had done pretty well, saying things like, "if they do any of those things you don't want, then you go against the Accords, because either way you'll end up a war criminal, signing the Accords just gives you a chance, at least."

Steve said he would think about it, and then Amara left him to sit with his thoughts.

He had been asked to help carry the coffin into the church and Amara and Sam waited on the seats for him to join them.

The service was beautiful. Peggy's coffin was covered in the Union Jack flag and a large bouquet of flowers and a choir of young people sang a hymn.

Amara noticed a photograph of Peggy with a floral wreath next to it and she said a silent prayer for Peggy's soul.

The pastor performed the final rites and the eulogy, then addressed the assembly, "And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words."

Who else would walk up to that podium other than Sharon - Steve's Sharon. Amara noticed quickly and nudged Sam, whose eyes widened in surprise as he also nudged Steve. Steve looked confused as he was looking down, paying his respects, but when he glanced up and saw Sharon standing there, his face morphed into a mixture of surprise and realisation.

Sharon locked eyes with Steve and then began to speak, "Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of S.H.I.E.L.D. But I just knew her as Aunt Peggy."

Steve's mouth was open in amazement as Sharon continued, "She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related. I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. She said compromise where you can." Steve nodded and Amara thought he was finally considering signing. But then Sharon said, "But where you can't, don't."

That was when Amara knew she had lost him.

"Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say, "No, you move"."

—————

After the service was over, Sam and Amara left to sit in the cafe together, leaving Steve to say one last goodbye to his first love.

"Steve's not gonna sign, Sam," Amara sighed. "And I know you won't if he doesn't. You probably wouldn't even if he does."

"Come on, Amara. You, of all people, should be able to tell there's something off with the Accords," Sam said.

"I know they aren't perfect. But you don't... reject them altogether. We stick together and work through it. Together," Amara said. "That's how a team works."