50. Bridges Burnt

idfc - blackbear

Would you tell me pretty lies
Look me in my face
Tell me that you love me, even though it's fuckin' fake
I don't fucking care
At all

Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes approached the abandoned bunker and when it was directly in front of them, Steve flicked a few switches and landed the jet on the ground.

Bucky headed to the weapons bay and opened up a compartment with the word Romanoff on top of it.

He grabbed one of the large guns and walked back over to Steve, who was now standing in front of the ramp leading down to the ground.

Steve looked over at his friend, "You remember that time we had to ride back from Rockaway Beach in the back of that freezer truck?"

"Was that the time we used our train money to buy hot dogs?" Bucky asked.

"You blew three bucks trying to win that stuffed bear for a redhead," Steve replied.

Bucky laughed, "What was her name, again?"

"Dolores. You called her Dot," Steve nodded.

"She's gotta be a hundred years old right now," Bucky said, shaking his head.

"So are we, pal," Steve replied, clapping Bucky on his back.

They gave each other one more look to silently tell each other that they were ready for whatever fight was waiting for them inside that bunker, and walked out.

They stood outside the entrance and Steve said, "He can't have been here more than a few hours."

"Long enough to wake them up," Bucky said, cautiously.

—————

The two super soldiers stood in the elevator and waited as it jerked to a stop and the doors opened. Steve pulled the mesh door up from the ground to let them out.

Bucky had his gun aimed into the darkness, both of them looking around warily.

They made it to the stairs on the other end of the room and began climbing up, when they heard a loud thud coming from the elevator they had just taken.

Steve stood in front of Bucky, holding his shield out to protect both him and his friend, while Bucky aimed his gun over the top of the shield, ready to fire.

The door creaked and Steve spoke, "You ready?"

"Yeah," Bucky replied instantly, the both of them tightening their grip on their respective weapons.

The doors began to open, actually they were being pried open by someone.

Steve's heart was beating fast, but when he saw the glow of Ironman's arc reactor in between the doors, he froze in shock.

He had found them. Was he going to arrest them? Steve slowly began walking closer to Tony, his shield still up and leaving Bucky on the stairs.

Tony walked forwards, but took his mask off as a sign of maybe not being here to fight.

Tony looked around the room, "You seem a little defensive."

"It's been a long day."

Tony looked up at Bucky and his gun still raised up at him, "At ease, soldier. I'm not currently after you."

"Then why are you here?" Steve asked.

Tony shrugged, "Could be your story's not so crazy... maybe," he looked around and came to a stop now that he had met Cap in the middle. "Ross has no idea I'm here. I'd like to keep it that way. Otherwise I gotta arrest myself."