52. Expanded Horizons

Shiver - Coldplay

But on and on, from the moment I wake
Till the moment I sleep
I'll be there by your side
Don't you try and stop me
I'll be waiting in a line just to see if you care
...
Did you want me to change?
Well, I changed for good
And I want you to know,
That you'll always get your way.

Upon landing back at Avengers compound, Ross had been eagerly awaiting their arrival.

As per the plan, Tony stepped out of the ship, and held his hand out for his daughter to grab onto and follow him.

"And where the hell have you two been?!"

"Would you believe us if we said Italy?" Amara joked.

Ross didn't even acknowledge the joke as he narrowed his eyes and stared at Tony. "Stark," he said sternly.

"You know, we could tell you, but I think you'd rather be shown," Tony turned back to the jet and called out, "Isn't that right?"

"Who the hell are you talking to Stark?!" Ross said, clearly assuming that Tony Stark had finally cracked.

"I believe that would be me," Steve Rogers stated as he walked forwards, standing in the doorway of the Quinjet.

"Rogers," Ross said incredulously, looking between the two Starks. "My god, something good actually did come from you two signing."

"Ah, don't get too excited. He's not here to be arrested," Amara said as she watched the frown appear on Ross' face.

"That's not up to you," Ross narrowed his eyes even further at Amara.

"Bring him out, Cap," Tony said.

Steve walked back into the jet and came out moments later with a bound Zemo.

"You can't arrest someone without a direct order from me," Ross said, walking over to where Steve was now joining Tony and Amara. "Especially not after what you've done," he said pointing at Steve.

"This man is the real criminal. He orchestrated everything. From the bomb at the UN to Barnes' outbreak. It was all him," Amara explained.

Ross took a deep breath in before gesturing to the agents behind him, "Take him in for questioning."

At that second four agents made their way over to Zemo and took him inside the building.

Steve joined Amara and Tony shortly afterwards.

"And, what? You expect me to let you go Scot free because you brought this guy in?" Ross asked Steve.

"No, sir. All we want is your attention for 10 minutes. That's all we ask," Steve spoke up for the other two.

Ross looked over at Tony, questioningly and Tony nodded in confirmation.

Ross took a deep breath in and held the bridge of his nose before looking back up, "All right. Follow me."

—————

And so they filled Ross in on everything that had happened. From Zemo's master plan to the confrontation at the bunker, obviously leaving out the details about Tony's parents' deaths.

"So you say you had Barnes with you?" Ross asked, standing up and pacing, trying to process the information he was being given.

"Yes, that's right," Amara said, nodding.

"Where is he?" Ross looked between the three of them.

"That's not important right now," Amara said.

"Miss Stark," Ross began, sternly. "All due respect, but it is the only thing of importance, right now."