42. Apologies Are In Order

Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Lana Del Rey

I'm on the run, with you my sweet love
There's nothing wrong contemplating God
Under the chemtrails over the country club
We're in our jewels in the swimming pool
Me and my sister just playin' it cool
Under the chemtrails over the country club

Amara Stark was lying in a hospital bed, her father sitting with her in the room.

After she had gone missing, he had looked around for her, desperately. And when he found her lying unconscious on the roof, he instantly went into dad mode.

"Kid! Amara!" He rushed over to her and knelt on the ground, turning her onto her back. He quickly checked her pulse and breathed in relief when he felt it, still going strong.

He waved his hands behind him, refusing to take his eyes off his daughter, "Get help! G-get everything."

He had lifted her head off of the ground and into his lap, stroking her hair. Some people had come up behind him to try and get him up, but he didn't care, he told them to shut up. He was going with her.

Natasha came up next to them. She kneeled down.

"Tony she'll be fine. Her pulse is strong, she's still breathing normally. She just tired herself out." She paused. "Everett Ross wants to talk to us."

Tony shook his head, but before he could refuse, Natasha held up her hand and stopped him, "I know. Don't worry, I'll go. Just be with her when she wakes up, okay?"

Tony looked away from Amara for the first time to give Natasha a thankful smile, which she shook away and swiftly got up to leave, instructing the paediatrics on what to do before she left.

Now Tony was sat in the hospital chair, looking at his daughter in front of him. He should've protected her. He should've watched her.

He made a silent promise to himself that he wasn't gonna let that girl out of his sight.

She was his responsibility, not to mention one of the only people he had left from a limited list of others.

He wouldn't let anything happen to her.

Meanwhile, Amara was in a world of her own.

She knew she was unconscious, but, somehow, she couldn't wake herself up.

For a while it was just darkness, then the darkness shifted, so slightly and so gradually that Amara didn't even notice when she had transitioned from that darkness into a full dream.

Or, more appropriately, nightmare.

The same nightmare she had been having for a while now. The dream of the man and the red book with the star.

Only this time, she heard a scream. The bloodcurdling scream of a man in pain. Hopeless, scared and alone.

Her view of the man shifted and changed into smoke and as the smoke reformed, she saw a person strapped to a chair, a large machine covering the majority of their face and head as they screamed in pain.

Tears formed in Amara's eyes as she felt his pain, his hurt and his weakness.

She hadn't realised that she had begun showing her restlessness in real life, too.

Tony got up when he saw his daughter scrunch her face in discomfort and move around to try and feel better.

Although she was sleeping Tony could see the distress behind her expression.