39. Congratulations, You're A Criminal

Snap Out of It - Arctic Monkeys

I wanna grab both your shoulders and shake, baby
Snap out of it
I got the feeling I left it too late, but baby
Snap out of it
If that watch don't continue to swing
Or the fat lady fancies having a sing
I'll be here waiting ever so patiently for you to
Snap out of it

Amara Stark watched the news, intently, hoping for any headline saying that Bucky had been found, without Steve's name attached to it. Her hopes weren't all that high, especially considering her last conversation with the man.

"Miss Stark? Colonel James Rhodes is entering the building. He should be entering the vicinity, shortly."

"What's Rhodey doing here? He's supposed to be with Dad, right?"

"There's been a change of plans."

"What kind of change?"

"I'm afraid, I'm not authorised to tell you. But I can tell you that he is carrying the Accords ready for you and the Maximoffs to sign."

Amara breathed in shakily, but shook it off, quickly. Now she was out of the loop. She had no idea what was going on. Only this time, she didn't know if it was her father keeping things from her, or if it was the Accords not allowing them to say anything.

Amara got up from the sofa and muted the TV just as Rhodey walked out of the elevator and into the room, holding a briefcase.

She walked up to him, "Uncle Rhodey. What are you doing here? I thought you were with my dad."

"Yeah, I was," Rhodey said. "They found Barnes."

"Bucharest, I know."

"I got the job to bring them in."

"Them? Who's them?"

"Come on, Amara," he said.

"Steve?"

"Possibly. We don't know for sure, but... there's a good chance."

Amara exhaled and nodded her head, knowing that Steve was already there, probably with Sam.

"Uncle Rhodey?"

"Yeah," he replied.

"I know that I have no right to ask this and it's probably the worst thing I can ask, right now. But... please. Leave Steve and Sam out of this."

"Amara..."

"No, I know what you're gonna say. But Steve doesn't know what he's doing. It's Bucky. He just wanted to protect his friend. But they're not criminals. Please, Uncle Rhodey. Even you know that."

Rhodey sighed, "Amara... I can't make any promises. If Steve fights back, it's not up to me what happens to him."

He watched Amara's face fall as she nodded.

"But, I can try and talk him down. I'll try my best kid. I can promise you that."

"Thank you," Amara said, gratefully.

Rhodey looked down at the briefcase he was holding and handed it to Amara. "The Accords are in here. When you're ready, just sign 'em. Then you can head over to Berlin. Your dad's waiting for you."

Amara smiled and nodded. "Bye, Rhodey."

Rhodey nodded and walked down to where his suit was.

—————