26. Clarity - One of the Best Feelings in the World

Next To You - New West

Tell me are we just waiting for the other to say
Let's do it all again?
'Cause if there's one thing we're told,
"C'est la vie"
But I miss you more each day you're not with me
And just know, when I sleep
That I'm dreaming of the only place I wanna be
And where I wanna be, is next to you

MJ left after dinner but not before Amara met with the team and reported back everything she had learnt.

Steve was extremely grateful and had no problem saying it every few minutes. If he wasn't a super soldier, who couldn't get drunk, Amara would have one hundred per cent thought he was.

Over dinner, Steve managed to find out the name of the woman, Lucy Nguyen and sent it to Vision who scanned the SHIELD system for her.

She was originally a street criminal, pickpockets and small robberies when SHIELD found her. She and Natasha were in the same training batch until Natasha's skills exceeded hers and they were placed into different departments.

Although Amara was team Steve all the way, she had to admit: it would have been almost poetic if the two of them had managed to find their way back to each other. But, like Natasha said: it didn't feel right.

Amara went up to bed early that night: tomorrow was Saturday and she had promised Spiderman that Aura would be out on patrol with him this week. Regardless of the fact that she would definitely oversleep, anyways.

She should have been dreading it, dreading hearing how Amara was such a backstabbing bitch who dropped him for no reason and refuses to talk to him and hasn't given him a reason why. But she couldn't help it. The prospect of seeing him again, even if he hated her, made Amara feel warm and happy. The way he always made her feel - as Spiderman and as Peter Parker.

Who was she kidding? Peter is so nice and good, even if he hated her, he would never call her a bitch. He would never talk badly about anyone.

Amara closed her eyes, falling asleep while thinking about Peter, and how happy she was going to be to see him again.

—————

Spiderman was sitting on top of a building, overlooking Mr Delmar's Deli. He had just bought a number 5 with extra pickles and was now taking his time savouring the amazing taste of the 'best sandwiches in Queens,' as he liked to say, his legs dangling off of the edge.

He heard a thump behind him, but he knew he wasn't in danger, otherwise, his spider-sense would have alerted him.

"Hey, you ready for our patrol?" Aura said from behind him.

Spiderman looked up at her, "Um, I'm kind of eating my breakfast."

"That's your breakfast?" She pretended to check her imaginary watch, "It's almost 4 o'clock."

"Yeah I haven't really had the chance to eat much yet," he replied.

"What? Okay, first rule of superhero training: always keep your energy up. That means eat! How have you even been out all this time on an empty stomach?" Aura asked.

Peter's heart warmed, touched by how much she cared. "I've been fine, I think it's like a spider survival instinct." He saw the look on Aura's face telling him to explain. "Spiders don't have eyelids so they can't sleep. They just slow down their metabolic rate so much that they can actually survive for at least a month without food or water."

Aura chuckled, "Okay, but you're not fully a spider, you're mostly human. And believe it or not, humans need food. So... next time you go to patrol, whether I'm here or not, eat whenever you can, okay."