8. Operation Dodgeball

Dandelions - Ruth B.

I think that you are the one for me
'Cause it gets so hard to breathe
When you're looking at me, I've never felt so alive and free
When you're looking at me, I've never felt so happy

Gym class was already shaping up to be a terrible lesson, and it hadn't even officially started, yet.

Amara hadn't realised that she would have to change clothes, she hadn't brought any to change into, how could she? No one told her that she would have gym on her first day. And because she didn't have any clothes, she had to borrow a spare kit from the school. She walked out into the gym and headed straight over to Peter and Ned.

"Are you shitting me? this thing smells like it hasn't been washed in over a century! I've smelt literal shit that would smell better than this," Amara said, briefly forgetting that she wasn't talking to Pietro or Clint or Sam, who she often used this kind of humour around and who often used it back, she was talking to her new friends that she met today. Amara internally cringed and waited for them to say something, anything.

Then Peter and Ned laughed and Amara breathed a sigh of relief. Oh, thank god!

"Okay, everyone! Take a seat on the bleachers," Amara assumed that that was the teacher and she went to sit with her new friends as the teacher carried on, "Alright! Today we're gonna be playing a game of dodgeball and I'm gonna pick team captains in a second, but first, we have a new student," Oh shit! Amara thought to herself. "You've probably seen her around today anyway, but it's her first lesson in this class so I'm required to introduce her. This is Amara everyone, hello Amara, I'm Coach Wilson, nice to meet you," Coach Wilson smiled at Amara and she awkwardly smiled back as she felt everyone's eyes on her in an instant.

"Uh, coach, there's a problem with the equipment, we need you." A student had walked into the gym, seemingly looking for the coach to fix something, no, find...something - Amara wasn't always in control of her 'sense,' or being in control of when she can use it, it sort of just happens.

"Alright everyone, just talk amongst yourselves, I'll be back in five minutes, max," coach Wilson said before walking in the direction of the student.

As soon as coach Wilson left the room, all the students erupted into a loud conversation. Amara tried to make her way toward Peter or Ned, or even Michelle, but she was unable to find any of them.

Amara heard a boy trying to talk to her, so she turned around to not be rude, only to be faced by that kid, Flash. "Hey, you're the new girl, right? I don't believe we've officially met, I'm Flash."

He held out his hand for Amara to shake, but she refused to offer her hand to him. She instead met him by looking down at his hand and then back to him, an inquisitive look plastered on her face as she pondered what he could possibly have to say to her.

He retracted his hand, his smile still plastered proudly onto his face. "You're Amara," he finished for her, God, Amara hated when people spoke for her, but most of all, she hated the fact that he already knew who she was.

Before Amara had the chance to express her distaste, Flash continued, "So, how are you finding Midtown. It's pretty hard, right?" Amara was annoyed at the fact that he just assumed that she was having difficulty, but she covered it up well enough with a smile.

"No, actually, the classes seem pretty simple," Amara fired back, her smile challenging him to speak again.

"Really? Maybe you're doing something wrong," Flash's reply made Amara's blood boil, right because I couldn't just be smart I have to be doing it wrong! but he wasn't finished yet, "you know, if you ever need any help understanding some of the stuff, properly, then feel free to ask me, in fact, here, take my number, then you can call me any time you like."