6. Midtown School of Science and Technology

Up with the Birds - Coldplay

Might have to go where they don't know my name
Float all over the world just to see her again
But I won't show or feel any pain
Even though all my armour might rust in the rain

Amara went to bed early that night... or at least she had planned to. After spending some time with Lila and Nathaniel, they had all sat down at the large dining table for takeaway Sunday.

It was kind of a tradition for the Avengers, every week they would try a new takeaway and rank it based on several factors like taste, presentation and price (although that doesn't matter when a billionaire's paying), then they add it to their board of takeaways accordingly.

Last night was this new pizza place that makes their pizzas into burritos. It seemed weird to start with, but once they had a bite and you could taste the cheese and sauce, they decided it was pretty good.

After dinner, Amara was more than ready to finally go to sleep. She had taken a long shower, taken her makeup off and completed her skincare routine. She had even gotten into bed earlier than she was aiming to. Then she remembered that she had forgotten to start her report on subject S-12.

"Oh for fuck's sake!" Amara cried as she sat upright and threw her arms up in frustration, inadvertently using her powers, causing her new school bag to topple over on the other side of the room, spilling out all of its contents that Amara had just spent at least 10 minutes organising so that everything could fit.

Great! Even my subconscious is rooting against me! Amara rolled her eyes and called out, "FRIDAY?"

"Yes, Miss Stark?" FRIDAY responded cheerfully as if it wasn't 11 o'clock and Amara had forgotten the most important thing she was supposed to do that evening.

"Can you open up my file on subject S-12, please?"

"Right away, Miss Stark."

Amara left the comfort of her bed and trudged to where her bag had fallen over, next to her reading corner. Her textbooks lay sprawled across the floor when she leaned down to pick them up, she saw that FRIDAY had gotten up the file. "FRIDAY just type up everything I say."

As Amara cleaned up the mess she had made all over her bedroom floor, she recounted everything she had witnessed that day; Amara was happy and proud to say that she finished her report, she was unhappy, however, to have finished the report at 12:30 am, which she was lucky to have even accomplished with how easily distracted she was. If she had gone to sleep at this time, perhaps Amara might have gotten some sleep, but Amara was stupid.

She decided that she wanted something to eat, so she made her way to the kitchen, found nothing of interest and so made the decision to make herself a hot chocolate, then found herself surprised when she couldn't, for the life of her, get to sleep.

She had made the decision around 3 o'clock to continue doing some research on Midtown School of Science and Technology. Turns out they had been the academic decathlon winners for the last three years now, they have the highest rate of graduates who end up at universities like MIT, Yale and Harvard, and they have pretty impressive SAT scores. Seems pretty decent. I guess if I have to go to high school, at least it might be academically challenging.

At 3:30 Amara decided to start reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, although that didn't last very long either as she then decided to go up to the roof of Avengers Tower to look at the stars. Amara wasn't entirely sure whether or not she fell asleep while stargazing, but she did know that she was up there for a decent while. Amara had always found the stars calming - when she was younger, and her powers were all over the place, the one thing that Amara could be sure that she wasn't able to change or mess up, was the night sky. Through everything, her whole life, The moon and the stars were forever constant.