46. No Going Back

Can't Behave (Without DJ) - Courtney Jaye

Remember the days and the Hollywood nights
What happened to paradise?
Stolen away, and I can't replace it now
'Cause rumours are flying that I can't avoid
Are they true or am I paranoid?
Livin' like this, it's drivin' me crazy
So make up your mind
You're running out of time.

Happy had offered to drive them, but Amara thought it would be safer for him to stay at the hotel.

He objected for all of three minutes, but Amara was too persuasive and he allowed them to go.

Spiderman and Aura swung and flew between the rooftops of Berlin and things felt almost like old times. Except they were on their way to fight other superheroes instead of stopping small crimes.

Tony Stark was already waiting at the meeting point with the others when they arrived.

Peter and Amara landed on the ground and Amara said, "Sorry we're late. It's Happy's fault."

"Yeah, I don't care," Tony said. "Introduce the kid."

"Right. Everyone, this is Spiderman," she looked at Peter next to her, waiting for him to say something, but he didn't. He just stood there.

Amara assumed he was frozen in awe from seeing all of his favourite heroes together. To save him from the embarrassment she would probably hear about later, she spoke up, "Uh, your Highness. Nice to finally meet you," She said to the new king of Wakanda.

"Miss Stark. I've heard a lot about you. It's a pleasure to work with you."

"Pleasure's all mine, sir." He nodded at Amara. "Anyway, let's, uh, go over our game plan."

Natasha spoke up, "The Spiderguy's our wild card. No one knows about him. We keep him out for as long as possible."

Tony nodded, "No doubt they've got something or someone new on their side, so we have to watch out for that. You," he pointed at Peter.

"Me?"

"Yeah, you're not just here to model your suit. You only move off your mark when I give the signal, got it?"

"Uh, what signal? Sir?" Peter asked.

"What signal? Um... Underoos," He nodded, happy with himself for coming up with that.

"Dad," Amara said, exasperatedly.

"We don't have time to argue about what signals to use, Amara, just go with it," Tony said with false frustration.

Amara rolled her eyes but noticed the way Peter was looking at Tony. He had so much admiration for him. Like he was the smartest person ever.

"Just so we're clear," Peter started. "Are we fighting to just slightly injure them, you know, like cuts and bruises or are we jumping straight to broken bones, sir?"

"We do whatever's necessary to arrest them," Tony replied.

"We should try and convince them one last time to turn Barnes in," Amara said, "Give them a chance to do the right thing at least."

"Amara, you know Steve would never go for that. He's too loyal," Natasha sympathised.

She didn't say it, but Amara could tell that some part of her was hoping that Steve would consider letting this whole thing go. So that they could be a team again. So that they could be a family again.

"I agree. Although I feel, stubborn is a more accurate descriptor. That guy's more stubborn than Pep and that's saying something," Tony remarked.

"The guy literally wanted to join the army so bad he became a science experiment after being rejected 5 times," Rhodey remarked.