33. Forgiveness Is A Beautiful Thing

Norman fucking Rockwell - Lana Del Rey

Why wait for the best when I could have you? You?
'Cause your just a man, it's just what you do
Your head in your hands as you colour me blue
Yeah, you're just a man, all through and through
Your head in your hands as you colour me blue.

It had been seventeen minutes since the Hulk had rendered himself unconscious. By the time he finally began to stir once again, Tony looked up from the computer that he was using to calculate something.

Tony wasn't sure if Hulk would remember anything, but his doubts were cleared when the green guy spoke, "Stark? Why not leave?"

"Yeah, well... figured if I had solved this whole thing, you should be the first to know."

"Thanks," he grumbled, gratefully.

"You're welcome," Tony said, clearing his throat.

Hulk looked around his cell and at the broken machinery around him, he winced. "Sorry. Breaking everything."

"Nah, don't worry about it, we got what we needed."

"What is it?" Hulk asked, wondering if Tony found out what was stopping him from turning back.

"Well we were right. Someone definitely lodged something into your head. Look here, right by the hippocampus," he pointed at his computer screen as he turned it around for Hulk to see. "It's some kind of inhibitor, so that every time you even attempt to change back to Dr Banner, it's fighting with your brain to stop you, hence the shooting pains in your head and the..." he looked around, "smashing and breaking. When all that fails, it'll knock you out, just like we just saw."

"And when I wake up..."

"You're bigger and greener than ever," Tony finished for him.

"But Stark can take it out?" Hulk asked, hopefully.

"Not exactly... the device? It's bonded to the hippocampus. If we try to take it out, it could affect the whole brain, you could get an aneurysm. In other words, it's stuck there and until we can figure out a way to safely remove it, you're stuck like this."

Hulk grumbled.

"But we can fix this, eventually, I promise. That's not even the thing we have to be worried about."

"What do you mean?"

"The cloaking mechanism - the thing that made this inhibitor invisible to our scans? It's made of vibranium. My guess? Those samples you guys brought back the other day were planted by whoever was working on this. Those were an early prototype. Not effective, barely functioning." He sighed, gesturing to the Hulk, "That? They perfected it. It's almost identical to naturally occurring vibranium. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It works exactly the same. Damn it!" He sighed frustratedly, running his hands through his hair. "They planted those samples for us to find. To throw us off, which it did. And to drive us all apart. Which it did." He thought back to Amara. And, once again, how he had acted. He groaned, "Oh my god, Amara! She hates me! Hulk? I have to go, I'm sorry. I have to figure out how to fix this..." he paused, "This being, your... situation and my relationship with my daughter."

"Bye, friend," Hulk said.

Tony nodded at him and then turned away, walking out of the cell and back down the hall.

The last thing that the Hulk heard was Tony as he dialled a number into his phone and spoke, "Pepper? Can we talk?"

—————