P R O L O G U E

You could already see their amused smiles as they tortured and slaughtered people for selfish motives.

They were pagans. They were brutal villains. They were to capture minor Imperiums, mould their souls and minds into violent infidels as they evolve. 

Undoubtedly there was an alternative version of them. 

The Divinus. 

These two legions fought each other with such an unimaginable abundance of loathing towards each other….

 20th February 2040

 It all started at the end.

It was a normal day except if you ignored the fact It wasn't.

  The sound of an infant girl wailing echoed through the mansion. Her father ran upstairs panting, his nightwear stained with his dead wife's blood. 

He roughly swung open the door, quietly locking it behind him gears functioning as he moved his hands, and walked towards the crib.

 He picked her up and cradled her in his arms. Andrea jiggled in her father's arms in a panicked way. 

With eyes brimming tears and quivering lips, she was utterly out of depth. Her shrill cries were only broken by her gasping for breaths in between. 

He snapped his fingers around to calm her down. Her face was blotched and her little mouth stretched wide.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

 At the sudden loud noise from behind the door, Andrea resumed crying. 

"You can't hide her forever Carson! Give the girl now! You can keep the son!" A man demanded. 

The banging continued. Mr Carson sank to the floor, hiding his face, holding his daughter close, bobbing and swaying to unheard music, humming a lullaby, quite tranquil, quite serene. Soon the harsh cries softened to snuffles.

 The banging stopped.  The door clicked open. Slowly opening revealing four hooded figures. 

The tall one with broad shoulders walked forward. The man knelt in front of him and grabbed a fistful of his hair. 

"Take the child," he ordered. Andrea's cries were deaf to everyone's ears. One of them pulled down their hood, her sunken eyes staring at the girl. 

 She walked towards the huddled man and bent down to take the child. However, Mr Carson declined to give the child, the man yanked his hair. 

Mr Carson squinted his eyes shut from the pain, the woman took this as an opportunity and grabbed the child.

  “Let’s go now, Auster, we’ve got what we came for,” said the woman. With a grunt, Auster stood up and kicked Mr Carson on the calf.

 “Look at ya! Pathetic! The highly respected Powerful sir. Mr Carson. Not so powerful are ya now, eh?”Auster mocked. “Yer lucky we couldn’t find ya son, but when I-“

“Auster!”  Auster mumbled a few incoherent phrases under his breath. 

They walked out the door and like the air they all vanished in a blue flash appearing in front of a manor. 

It rested on a slender lane, enclosed by tall, neatly garnished bushes, also along with the driveway, which was shielded by a raven, wrought iron gate; the driveway was flawlessly steep.

 "Here is the child, Madam," she spoke up as she placed the slumbering child in a blonde lady's gloved hands.  The woman was dressed in a casually light blue tailored suit matching her eyes and her blonde hair was salon-perfect. 

 "What about the parents and the son?" 

"The mother is dead, Andromeda suggested we leave the father alive" Auster answered glaring at the sunken-eyed woman.  

"And why is that Andromeda?"  

"I suggested that because we would leave the man to suffer and regret his vulnerable decisions'' Marcela's gaze lingered on Andromeda and replied, 

"That is rather clever" Marcela looked down at the child in her hands and gave a grim smile.

"What about the son?" She asked.

"He wasn't home," Auster responded.

"How old is he? Six? Seven?. Where would he have to go?"

"Divinus, he's probably at Divinus,"  Andromeda confirmed.

Marcela gave a thoughtful look and said, “You can leave now" 

They all gave a small bow and left the room.

 From that day onwards she was no longer Andrea Beaufort Adele alternatively, she'll be known as Andrea Charlotte Marcela.

That very night many things have changed, a future for a girl, and the one who she calls mother. 

Nothing lasts forever.