Chapter: 54

“Is that her?” Andrea pointed at a Polaroid picture of a younger version of Adele in a blue Ludere uniform with her bow.

“Yes, she was a Shooter,” Smith flipped to the next page, this time the picture was different. Strands of hair fell from her braid, dirt stained her cheeks and uniform, she held a trophy high. The following picture was her kissing it. “She shoved the trophy right at my face,”

“we’re you two on the same team?”

“We we're, I quit the team earlier so I could do this,” he gestured to the stacks of metal pipes, screws, drones, trustees, exoskeleton armory. 

“I told her the team wouldn't even score a point if I wasn't in it, of course I didn’t mean it. I only said it to rile her up. You know women, when comes to proving someone, especially a man, they'll do it, better than the others imagined it,”

“I heard she ran away from an arranged marriage?”

“Let me guess, Morgana told you that?”

“maybe,”

“She was eighteen, we began dating unaware to her parents at the age sixteen or seventeen. Her parents were just a little too strict. The man they arranged a marriage with her was a doctor,”

“They didn't like you?”

Smith chuckled, “ you have no idea, they loathed me. They thought I was irresponsible, I was unworthy of their daughter. My school background didn’t really help that either,”

“was he a Perium?”

“Yes, but he was aware of all this, Adele was the kind of person who loved to get into trouble, enjoyed starting fights, when I asked her why she likes doing those things, she replied with something about the rush of adrenaline,”

“what about you?”

Smith beamed shutting the album and placing it back in his shelf.

“ I was the one who got her out of trouble, pulled her out of those fights. Tell you what, she wasn't a good influence on me,”

“but you said she had strict parents,”

“Yes I did, kids with strict parents are..” a small laugh escaped from his lips, “not innocent than people think they are,”

“aren’t you talking shit about her?”

“not exactly, talking about her is the only thing that is keeping me sane,” he picked up his coffee took a sip, “oh and of course coffee,”

“She hated coffee,” Andrea mused, watching a moving hologram picture of her mother spinning in a field of wheat.

Smith gazed at her, “Yes she did, who told you that?”

“just a guess,”