Karl Jacobs x Male Reader Pt 1

Doesn't follow canon plot
Angst?

Y/N POV

I've been in the inbetween for a while now, not much ever happened and to be completely honest, I'm happy about that... I don't want anything like what happened to me to happen to anyone else. I'd been searching around and have found a few new books addressed to this 'Karl' person, same as what happened to me, there was also ones that lead him to the truth about the inbetween, I haven't personally seen him however...

God, speak of the devil. This 'Karl' person was walking around the entrance, grabbing a book or two. He had brown fluffy hair and pretty eyes that looked strangely dull, he wore a white and grey hoodie which has the initials 'K.J' on the back, the 'k' probably standing for Karl. He was a sight to see but it pained me to know that someone who looked so innocent ended up in a dark place like this. I started following behind him, he didn't notice me but it was adorable to see him wandering around like a lost puppy here, honestly I'm not surprised, this place is pretty big...

...

...

After he left I started to notice the growth of clones, they wandered around frantically round the little park area where I sat with my guitar, I'd started to grow on them and whenever they saw me they'd follow me around or wait until I played music, I wanted them to be calm even if they weren't real.

"Come on guys! You want your songs don't you?"

They all started to flock in, most thought they were mindless, and for the most part they were but I knew how to get through to them. I grabbed my guitar which was sat by the swing and messed with it a bit, making sure it was working properly. All the clones were sat down on the grass in front of me and I adjusted my mask so my mouth was uncovered and started to play

"Look at the stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah, they were all yellow... I came along I wrote a song for you, And all the things you do, And it was called Yellow"

I had my eyes closed but I instantly noticed when someone came and sat down in the grass, I opened my eyes just a bit and saw the real karl, he seemed confused by the song and me but he stayed till the end

"And your skin Oh yeah, your skin and bones Turn in to something beautiful. Do you know For you, I'd bleed myself dry For you, I'd bleed myself dry... It's true Look how they shine for you... Look how they shine for you... Look how they shine for... Look how they shine for you... Look how they shine for you... Look how they shine. Look at the stars Look how they shine for you And all the things that you do~"

I finished the song and opened my eyes again, the Karl's all getting up and leaving with smiles on their faces, I smiled and looked at the real Karl

"I see you've lost your way time traveller"
" how... How'd you know about that? "
"This is the inbetween, only time travellers come here"
"Oh... Well you must also be a time traveller then!"
"I was, yea"
"Was?"
" yea, ever since I found out the inbetween was ev-"
"What was that?"
" Nothing,my throat just hurts"
"You sure?"
" Yea, say what's your name? "
"I'm Karl Jacobs, you?"
" I'm Y/N L/N, nice to meet you karl"
"So why do you have the same mask as dream?"
" Who? Oh, right him... I was his older brother"
"WAIT,your from my time!?"
" Kinda"
"Oh god"
"And the mask was mine to begin with, I just gave him a spare"

We both started to laugh before Karl asked more questions

"So who are they?"
" you mean the other Karl's? "
"Yea"
"They just appeared I guess, they like music though so that's a plus"
"Yea..."

I wanted to tell Karl about the inbetween but I've been forced into secrecy, saying anything would be a big no no... Not to mention I literally can't tell him about the inbetween... Maybe it's time to go find those books I wrote?

~~~

It'd been a few weeks, Karl came back a few times and every time he became more aware of the inbetween but less aware of himself and his memory, I'd found my books and was planning on showing him, though he'd need to get to the portal fast after I tell him, the inbetween doesn't like when people find out the truth...

"Hey Karl?"
" Hm? "
"I want to show you something"
"Sure, what is it?"

I gave him the book and started walking toward the portal, him following behind while reading the book. After a few minutes he turned pale and I saw the panic in his eyes, the inbetween started to get annoyed so I grabbed his hand and ran to the portal, Karl behind me.

"Why didn't you tell me?"
" I couldn't, the inbetween had a hold over me"

I stopped at the portal and he went to go in it, stopping when I didn't join him

"Aren't you coming?"
" I can't, I'm stuck here forever"
"But you can go through"
"I can but Karl only one can go through and I've lost my chance"
"Then take my place"

It started to rain heavily as the world around us seemed to disappear, the only thing that mattered was the conversation at hand

"I can't do that to you Karl"
"Please!"
" No! It'll just create an endless loop if I go through there, you have a life, I dont. "
"But we can think of something"
"There's no fucking time, stop caring about me when we only met a few weeks ago"
"But your the best person I've ever met!"
" yea, because you've forgotten your fiance's"
"How do you know my life!?"
" because I knew you karl, remember, I was in your time once... Karl I knew you before these past few weeks"
"Then why don't you want me to care for you!?"
" because I ruined your wedding. "
"What?"
"That day I was there as your best man, just as you were about to get married you paused and mentioned something about loving me more... I ruined it, you kissed me and I ran off after apologising, time traveling a few minutes later when people tried to find me"
"..."
"The portal's going to close, you need to go now"
"Just know I'll find a way to save you"
"Of course, I wouldn't expect anything less from you"

He hugged me tightly before taking off my mask to see my face. He put his hand on my cheek and I grabbed his hand, shaking my head before telling him to go through the portal, he took my mask with him.

"I guess I still have the other Karl's"

Just as I walked into the garden I got ready to shout about being back but stopped to realise that nothing was moving, no one was there

"..."

I walked over to the swing and sat down in front of it with my guitar, leaning my head on the seat of the swing

"Look at the stars... L-Look how th-they shine for you..."

I broke down and started crying, I hugged my guitar tightly as I sobbed, pausing for a minute to let myself calm down, staring into the distance

"I guess I'll wait for the next one, but I don't think I'll ever like one as much as you"

I started to smile, tears still pouring down

"Why'd you have to leave, why aren't I selfish enough to keep at least one friend as my own...? Well I hope your living a better life now, Karl Jacobs..."

- Credit to artists -

Why am I actually kinda sad... Well anyway bye guys! Hope you have a great day today, you guys are awesome!