Chapter 12. Fools Hope

Bria's POV.

After shoving random clothing items in an old bag, I quickly grab my phone and rush down the stairs.

I can't believe what is happening.

My head is pounding, my heart is racing, I have no idea where I'm going to go.

My mom isn't my mom anymore, she's a completely different person without my dad.

As I'm about to walk out the door I witness my mom crushing some pills on the coffee table in the living room.

The image of her focusing on each pill as she uses a card to cut it up burns in my head.

"I love you." I whisper to myself so quietly she couldn't hear me.

I close the front door behind me and as the door finally clicks closed my heart sinks.

I'm alone.

Despite the pain in my heart, I walk to my car and throw my bag in the passenger seat.

I drive around aimlessly for a while until my phone rings.

I look at the caller ID hoping it's my mom telling me to come home but it's Lauren.

I pull over quickly into a parking lot and answer.

I hear Lauren's voice on the other line talking about how she got some answers out of Daisy.

She told me that Daisy said Nina's husband saved her and then my father killed him. My dad isn't a killer!

Maybe I have to talk to Daisy myself, I just have to wait for an opening.

After handing up the phone I tell Lauren to meet me in a couple days. I'm not sure where yet but I have to think of something.

I lean my seat back to where I'm almost lying flat. A sigh releases from my throat. My eyes flutter closed waiting for the morning.

Tossing and turning all night a ray of light is burning through my eye lids.

With a sigh I pull my seat up. Sleeping in the car kills your back.

I stretch my back out, satisfied with the crunchy pops.

What do I do? I have nowhere to go, and Lauren has already helped me so much, I can't bother her again.

Think Bria. I need to get money; I need a place to live...

Thinking back to an extremely old memory an idea forms.

I put my car in drive and head to my destination.

I remember my uncle went to this place called 'Fools Hope' before he died. All I know is he would make a lot of money. He said it was hidden in plain sight.

I don't remember exactly where it is, but I do remember how he described it and that it was on Taunheim Avenue.

The drive took twenty minutes until I was on Taunheim Avenue.

I scan the area hoping something pops out.

Looking at my gas gauge I realize I'm low on gas. Fuck.

Then I see a small building, almost the size of an outhouse.

Plain sight, right?

I park across the street in a parking lot then run across to the outhouse looking building.

I swear if this is just a bathroom, I'm going to drown myself in it.

I slowly open the door and the smell of cigarettes and metallic blood seeps into my nose.