Chapter 18. For Dad

Bria's POV

I've won every single fight in the ring. I'm making Fools Hope some good money, I get a cut and give some to Eli for letting me stay with him and his wife. They've been more than nice to me. Eli refused at first, he said there was no need for me to pay rent, but I basically begged him and told him it'd make me feel better.

I have another fight tonight. Malik has shown me new moves like how to kick, my kicks aren't as strong as my punches are yet, just got to keep practicing.

"Bria, what're you thinking about?" Malik asks.

Damn it, my train of thought left the station.

"Sorry, I've just thinking about how grateful I am for you and Eli. If it weren't for the both of you...I'd be homeless." I admit.

Malik's hand gently pats my back.

"You're a good person Bria. You've been through some shit. I see the look in your eyes when you fight. You're a fighter, you're a natural." He smiles.

Warmth wraps around my heart. He's so encouraging. I don't think I would be as good as I am today without him.

"Thank you. I'm glad to experience this with you. You're a good man Malik."

He rolls his eyes and chuckles. "Not a good man but I try to be at least a decent one."

I playfully push his shoulder. This guy doesn't accept compliments like he should.

We walk over to the bench that are bags are laying on and start packing up.

"You'll do good tonight. Try a kick or two, yeah?" Malik says zipping his bag.

I nod in agreement while zipping up my own bag.

"I'll be watching." His hand reaches up and tugs at his hair tie until his dreads fall to his shoulders.

"You better be." I smile.

Him being there used to make me nervous, I felt awkward fighting in a real fight with a really hot guy who is also my trainer watching.

We go our separate ways when we get to the parking lot. I hop into my car that feels like the devil made a visit. The black leather burns my skin as I try to get comfortable.

"Fuck." I huff.

The burn finally subsides, and I drive back to Elis' place.

When I get there, I walk in and announce my presence, so I don't scare anyone. This isn't the safest neighborhood but it's not as bad as it could be.

Sherry comes into the living room wiping flour on her floral apron.

"You excited for tonight?" She asks gleaming. She always gets excited when I'm going into the ring, she loves to cheer me on. She must've been a cheerleader in high school.

"More than excited." I say giggling at her excitement.

"Well go on, get ready. I'm making something light for you to eat so you're energized for the fight." She shoos me out of the room.

I chuckle at her and walk into my room. I throw on a sports bra and tight shorts with a pair of black shoes.

My hair is tightly pulled up into a fluffy bun. Girls love to pull hair when they fight.

As I enter the kitchen Sherry sets a tuna sandwich on the table with sliced cucumbers.

"We have to leave in fifteen minutes Bria!" Eli yells from the living room.

I quickly swallow my meal and throw on a black sweater.

"I'm ready." I nod at Eli.

My nerves are pumping and adrenaline courses through my body.

We get into his car together; I sit in the back while him and Sherry sit in the front.

When we get there, I walk in and see Malik talking to some people. His eyes meet mine and a smile plays across his face.

"Bria, come over!" He talks loudly over all the noise and chatter around us.

I walk to him and the two other men he's talking to.

"Bria, this is Mr. Simmons. He's here to watch you fight tonight." Eli introduces.

I shake the man's hand while giving him a friendly smile.

After chatting for a while, the announcer calls my name to the octagon.

My hands shake from the adrenaline.

Eli takes my hand and gives me a reassuring squeeze.

"Just remember what we've practiced. You got this." He encourages me.

I nod and slip off my sweater.

Eli and Malik stand in my corner of the octagon while the girl I'm fighting is on the other side with her coach and what seems to be her dad.

My dad wouldn't necessarily be proud of me for doing this...but I'm doing this for him.

This is for you dad.

The announcer introduces us to the crowd of people watching.

This girl has a longer reach than me and she is heavier than me. I just can't let her get on top of me. If she finds a way on top of me, I won't be able to get up.

The referee brings us closer together and reminds us of the rules. The girl is sizing me up, causing me to grow impatient. She's only slightly intimidating.

After the referee reminds us of the rules, the bill dings and we bump our knuckles together.

'Just remember what we've practiced.' Malik's voice plays over in my head.

Thank you all for reading! Please remember to vote, comment, and follow! 🌹🌹

Who do you think will win?

Who do you think Mr. Simmons is?

(Edited)