Chapter 15: He Finds Out

Kenzou opened the door for you and you stepped out of the car. Hiraku jumped out of the car with you and skipped up the steps to the front door. You walked beside Kenzou up the stairs following Hiraku. Kenzou kept pace with you as you walked up the steps, and he unlocked the door for you and Hiraku. Hiraku ran inside and went to the living room and set his stuff on the table. Kenzou let you go through first and he walked in after you. Kenzou locked the door and you went to the living room where Hiraku was waiting for you to tutor him. 

   " Alright, Hiraku what do you want to look at first? "

   " Let's look at math, please. "

   " Alright-"

Your phone started to ring and your eyes looked to your screen to see Conner calling.

   " Take it. I'm going to find my notes. "

   " Thanks Hiraku. "

You picked up your phone and answered the call. Hiraku picked up his notebook and started to look through his notes. Kenzou walked upstairs and changed into some comfortable clothes. He slipped on a white t-shirt and grey pants. He put on some slippers and walked out of his room. He took a seat on one of the single-seater couches and grabbed a book that was sitting on the coffee table. He started to read his book as you answered the call.

   " Hey, Conner. What's up? "

   " Hey, I just wanted to check on you and see how your day was. "

   " It was fine. I'm about to start tutoring one of the younger students I help teach. "

   " That's very nice of you. "

   " Thanks. How was college? "

   " Boring. I had four classes today and I just want to go to sleep in my dorm room. "

   " Then, go to sleep. Don't let me hold you up. "

   " Well, I just wanted to call and ask you something. "

   " What is it? "

   " This Saturday will you go on a date with me? "

   " A date? "

   " A date? " Kenzou asked looking up from his book.

   " A date!? " Hiraku shouted with a smile on his face.

   " Yeah, a date. " Conner said a little quietly on the phone.

   " Um, sure. "

   ' What!? ' Kenzou thought. 

   " Great! You don't know how fast my heart was beating from asking that. Is there anything you're doing on Saturday? I want to plan it after or before your plans. "

   " I'm not doing anything on Saturday besides this date. "

   " Okay, I'll text you the details when I think of them. "

   " You don't already have them planned? "

   " I didn't know what to expect from this call. I honestly thought I would be rejected. "

   " Well, you weren't. So get plannin'. I'll text you later, I've gotta get back to tutoring. "

   " Okay, good luck with the little kid. Bye. "

   " Bye. "

You hung up the phone and set it on the coffee table. Hiraku grabbed your arm and shook the appendage. There was a smile on his face as he looked up at you.

   " You're going on a date!? "

   " Yeah. . .what about it? "

   " Can I help you!? "

   " What? Hiraku-"

   " Please! This is exciting! I want to be the person to evaluate your date! "

   " Hiraku you can't come on the date. I love you, kid, but-"

   " At least let me help you get ready for it and let me meet this guy! Or girl! Or whoever! "

   " Hiraku-"

   " I think it's a good idea. You can find some clothes and come here to get ready and allow Hiraku to help style your hair and makeup. He knows how to do that kind of thing. " Kenzou said.

   " Why, does he know that? "

   " He used to help our mother a long time ago. He can surely do yours. "

   " Well. . ."

You looked at Hiraku's hopeful face and his eyes were hopeful as they looked up at you. You didn't want to make the kid upset so you sighed and nodded your head. Hiraku shouted and jumped up and down on the floor happy that you agreed. Kenzou looked back at the pages in the book that he held up to his face and stared at the page. He felt grateful that Hiraku asked for you to come over and let him help. Kenzou wanted to meet Conner and see what he had that Kenzou didn't. Kenzou wanted to know why you didn't look at him in the same way, and why you couldn't open up to him as you did with Conner. The box in his jacket pocket felt like it was weighing him down, but he wouldn't let go of you that easily.