Chapter 32: Escape Pt. 1

Two weeks had passed, and you were still trapped in the basement. Kenzou never let you leave the room. Kenzou would lock the door when he entered the room and when he left, not giving you a chance ever to leave the room. The only view of the outside world that you were able to get was the hallway outside of the room. You had figured out that you were underground, however. You knew because when looking into the hallway for a few seconds, there was only one light source, and that came from one end of the hallway. Meaning there were no windows in the hallway, and the hallway was made of concrete, meaning it had to be underground. But that was all you could figure out about your location.

   ' He's going to have to let me out at some point. He has to. Maybe if I just keep sucking up to him I can get out of here or at least understand more about where I am at. '

As you thought about where your location might be, Kenzou entered the room with a box in his hands. Like always, he locked the door behind him as he entered the room. 

   " Hello, sweetheart. I've brought a gift for you. "

You only watched him come closer with the box. It was wrapped neatly in white wrapping paper and a light blue bow on top. He sat in front of you, on the floor, while you stayed seated on the bed. He set the box on your lap, and his eyes begged you to open the box. You only sighed and untied the bow and pulled the lid of the box off. Inside was white tissue that hid the gift. You took the tissue paper out of the box, and the gift was unveiled. The gift made you shiver, and you set the box on the floor, looking at the floor instead of what was inside of the box.

   " Thank you. "

   " Do you like the gift my little bird? "

   " No comment. "

Kenzou only smiled, and he took your hands in his. He smiled like a kid on Christmas, and it sent another shiver down your spine. Then, his phone started to ring, so he let go of your hands and took his phone out of his pocket. 

   " Excuse me, sweetheart, I have a call coming in from my boss. "

You nodded, and he stood up and walked out of the room. He unlocked the door and stepped out of the room. But you felt your heart pick up pace when you realized he left the door unlocked.

   ' I can escape. But he's outside of the door. '

You figured why he left the door unlocked, and it was because he was standing outside of the door. You started to think about how fast you could run or how narrow the hallway would be to slip past him. You knew it would be risky to leave now, but you didn't know when the next chance would be. After seeing the lingerie in the box, you knew Kenzou was planning to start moving faster. He already mentioned marriage, kids, and now, you knew he wanted to take another step forward in their fantasy relationship with the gift. You didn't like the idea, and you felt as if you needed to move now, afraid you wouldn't get another chance to escape before he did something drastic. 

   ' I have to at least try. With him, on the phone, he'll also be distracted, and if he hangs up on his boss it wouldn't seem professional. He cares about how professional he is around others so I can count on him staying on the call, or take a moment to excuse himself. Either way, I have a chance. . .a risky chance. '

You slowly stood up from the bed and walked towards the door. You didn't worry about the clothes you were wearing; you were only worried about escaping the room.

   ' Before when he opened the door, the light came from the left, meaning when I leave this room I need to run to the left and I'll escape. ' 

You took your shoes and socks off so they wouldn't make any noise, and you made your steps light so Kenzou wouldn't hear you approach the door. When you were close enough to the door, you opened it a crack and peered out of the room. You were right when you thought that the room led into a hallway. Now, you knew exactly where to run. Kenzou's back was to the door, and he was talking on the phone facing the wall, deep in thought as he spoke. 

   " Well, that is very unfortunate for the company. I wonder where Ms. Farrow would have gone. She didn't have any lovers as far as I was aware, and I know she moved here from her home which is very far away. Are the police going to continue the search? "

You slowly opened the door further and slipped out of the room. His back was still facing you, and he was still staring at the wall. You slowly stepped out of the room, hoping that the door wouldn't squeak and he wouldn't notice the small light coming into the hallway. You slipped out of the door and shut it behind you, not turning the handle or pushing the door into its lock. You wanted to avoid any noise at all, and if you could escape before he turned around, he would open the door first and go in the room, buying you a little more time. You slowly started taking steps away from the door and form Kenzou. The walls were gray concrete and in front of you was a long hallway with only one door at the end. You had to go up a few steps and open the door, and you would be free.

   ' So I am underground. I was right. '

You moved fast but made sure your feet wouldn't make any noise as you got closer and closer to the door.

   " It's almost been three weeks since her disappearance. I hate that she is missing, but is it possible she was kidnapped? I'm not sure sir. but I will keep an eye out for Ms. Farrow if I see or hear from her. "

   ' Oh no. It sounds like he's going to end the call soon. I need to get to the door. '

You walked faster, and you started to walk up the steps, and you grasped the handle of the door in your hand, eager to open the door.